Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about BA miles on AA Transatlantic flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I read on the BA website that you cannot earn miles on AA transatlantic flights.
Similarly but with a slightly different phrase on the AA website is says that you cannot earn AA miles on BA flights to/from USA/UK.

So does anyone know if 'transatlantic flights' on the BA website means just to/from UK, or is anywhere to/from USA.

For example, if I book an AA flight from Brussels to Chicago can I earn BA miles?

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold
Transatlantic means what it says.

There is a handy calculator on BA's website which gives you the number of BA miles / tier points for a given airline / status / route / class combination.

Flying AA from BRU to ORD will not earn you anything on BAEC.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the calculator.
That's what I thought.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold
No problem, and a warm welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
you could however start an AA account and credit them to that or connect from BRU via LHR and onward on BA ? then crediting the flights to ba
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
you could however start an AA account and credit them to that or connect from BRU via LHR and onward on BA ? then crediting the flights to ba
Or with another OW airline if that is more suited to travel patterns and other scheme partners...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
The nearest you are going to get is something like BRU to YYZ which does earn miles and TP
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT whitfia1. ^
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: Prioity Club, BA Executive Club - Back to Silver (Whoa)
You could always go for a code share but very limited nowadays The only one available now, I believe, is AA MAN-ORD flight.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Where to credit AA miles?

I have an upcoming AA single journey (client-booked) LHR-JFK in J, which will be my first time on AA, and have a few questions:

I currently use BA as my main OW programme though I also have an old QF basic (bronze) membership with a few points in it. Where do other BAEC members credit their AA miles to? Am I better off crediting the miles and TPs to QF (there is some prospect of some QF flights and redemption opportunity over the next few years and it may make sense to have some points in there to spend, as BA redemptions in Australia are not good value) - or opening an account with AA (there is some prospect of more AA flights, but I would probably credit the miles to BA, unless I was flying on was transatlantic non-earning flights)?

Secondly, do I gain anything by way of seat choice on AA by including my BA number on the booking (I'm already flying J) - or will problems be caused by having my BA number in to start with, then trying to change it to another programme on check-in in order to earn miles on that programme?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
Originally Posted by wyvern
Secondly, do I gain anything by way of seat choice on AA by including my BA number on the booking (I'm already flying J) - or will problems be caused by having my BA number in to start with, then trying to change it to another programme on check-in in order to earn miles on that programme?

Thanks for your thoughts.
AA let you choose your seats anyway. The only benefit of putting your BA details onto the booking (which will work fine) is if you have OneWorld status which may help your chances of an upgrade.

Since you can't get BA miles on AA TATL flights you should then be able to retroclaim the miles into an AA account afterwards. I've done this flying on BA metal using my AA status before.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Originally Posted by theaxe
AA let you choose your seats anyway. The only benefit of putting your BA details onto the booking (which will work fine) is if you have OneWorld status which may help your chances of an upgrade.
You may also be able to choose an exit row if you use your BAEC number as you're silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.