Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBC reports 1,700 Job Cuts + 2 year pay freeze at BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:05 am
TMC
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8293536.stm

British Airways has announced that is to cut 1,700 jobs and introduce a two year pay freeze for cabin crew as it looks to cut costs during the downturn.

It also announced that it would press ahead with plans to recruit new staff on different terms and conditions to current employees.

The airline is losing money and expects to make a big loss for the second consecutive year.

Global airlines are struggling with a fall in passenger numbers.
Sympathies to anyone affected.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum

You beat me to it in more ways than one.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Aye.

This won't be pretty.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TMC
Its all voluntary. I think they might want congratulations instead.

Its the rest of it that will be messy.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:14 am

Afraid it shows that BA are still in hard times. I doubt if it's the only UK carrier finding trading conditions tough but it's only BA who seem to get the headlines.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It's all voluntary redundancies for cabin crew that IIRC have already applied for it.

The full details of what BA has changed has been posted on PPruNe and is easy to find if you want to look for it.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by TMC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8293536.stm

Those that are going are the lucky ones. I am no longer proud to work for this company.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
This is nothing new to those of us working at BA. It's been on the cards for a while. I understand the uptake for VR was not as high as hoped, hence the need for mandatory cuts. Ground staff have had a pay freeze already.

Not a nice time for any of us. Never a good time for something like this to happen, but around Christmas always seems that much harder.

Most that I talk to hate to see what BA has become recently. It has to be said morale is low among staff and little else is discussed these days except whether we're going to have a job next month or not.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Most that I talk to hate to see what BA has become recently. It has to be said morale is low among staff and little else is discussed these days except whether we're going to have a job next month or not.
Sign of the times isn't it.

They don't really have much choice to be fair........it's either raise fares to keep staff and run the risk of losing customers which in itself would lead to the same scenario. Vicious circle.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:43 am

BA have a lot of choice as to how to save money. They chose not to negotiate with the union representatives, and are now imposing a change to our contracts. We offered millions of pounds worth of savings MONTHS ago.

Its the BA way........
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Originally Posted by Anne Upgrade
BA have a lot of choice as to how to save money. They chose not to negotiate with the union representatives, and are now imposing a change to our contracts. We offered millions of pounds worth of savings MONTHS ago.

Its the BA way........
With respect, it was BASSA that initially wouldn't turn up to meetings. BASSA also ignored a 30 June deadline for negotiations. BASSA's saving proposals were found by PwC to be less than a third of their target.

The VRs were expected. The news here is that short-haul crewing levels at LHR are being aligned with LGW and a purser is being taken off long-haul aircraft and the CSD will have a service role.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Anne Upgrade
Those that are going are the lucky ones. I am no longer proud to work for this company.
I suggest you find another job then.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Also, new crew will be part of a separate fleet, thus effectively creating internal competition for LHR long-haul routes.

If BASSA had put the energy it has into posting personal attacks on senior management on its website and shouting down anyone who dares to question them into sensible intelligent negotiations (like BALPA) we might not be here.

These changes are being introduced because, according to BA, they don't require negotiation.

It should also be noted that other proposals such as reducing long haul night stops from 2 nights to 1 (which VS have done) are not going ahead.

Last edited by ian001; Oct 6, 2009 at 2:26 pm
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:17 am

If BASSA had put the energy it has into posting personal attacks on senior management on its website and shouting down anyone who dares to question them into sensible intelligent negotiations (like BALPA) we might not be here.
All sorts of things were on the table for existing crew if there had been any movement from BASSA towards the savings (rostering preferences, share options etc) but they just werent budging.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:21 am

Oh well, believe what you like. I know who I choose to believe. We were told a few weeks ago there would be no new fleet. Now we are told there will be one. They want crew who stay for 2 years or so and then leave. They do not value experience and loyalty because it costs them money. This is a fact.

But believe this - you'll all be peed off when the CSD doesn't come around to give you positive strokes and make you feel important. When your IFE doesn't work the wait will be a looong one for it to be reset. When you have a problem, it will not be sorted out quickly.

They are taking 2 crew off some routes and 1 off all the others on WW.

They are ruining this airline and will cash in their share options and leave with a lovely golden handshake. The crew who make your flights special will be long gone. They want a MacDonalds kind of set up with young cheap labour.

Yes, I am looking for another job with a company who values hardwork, professionalism, and someone who wants to be proud to work for that company.

Byeeeee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.