Where to stay in Sao Paulo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Sao Paulo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: FT
i stayed at the renaissance and although it might be out of your price range, the area was actually nice. i felt ok to walk around there at night versus when i stayed at the copacabana palace in Rio where there was no chance I was walking around there at night. we went to some decent restaurants around there.

Margherita Pizzeria
Alameda Tietę, 255 - Jardins
Săo Paulo - SP
01417-020, Brazil was very good...

not a bad walk down to the shops on Oscar Freire and my wife told me about this nice place on the same called Frevo...

http://www.frevinho.com.br/ nice creaming beer and really nice sandwich...sorry, should be more correct, a Beirute, i had the Special Beirute
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:31 pm

R$173=CAD$75
This is not realistic for hotel accomodation in Săo Paulo (or most major cities or popular beach villages in Brazil), except perhaps for a youth hostel type property or a more run down place in a possibly dodgy neighborhood.

Mkjr is referring to a neighborhood called Jardins, very convenient and safe, with lots of good hotels to choose from, metro nearby, park, museum, shops, restaurants.... Vila Magdalena neighborhood can be fun for nightlife.

Also, for clarity, it might be better to refer to the city as Săo Paulo. There is a town about an hour away, next to the airport (GRU) of the same name, called Guarulhos, which also has hotels. Guarulhos would be an inconvenient base, with expensive transportation costs, from which to see what the city of Săo Paulo offers.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:23 pm
HMO

Vida Na Praia is right. The IATA code for Sao Paulo is SAO. Despite of almost all int'l flights from/to Sao Paulo uses GRU airport, it is located at Guarulhos city.

Using GRU to refer to Sao Paulo city is almost the same as using EWK to refer to New York city ^
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by HMO
Vida Na Praia is right. The IATA code for Sao Paulo is SAO. Despite of almost all int'l flights from/to Sao Paulo uses GRU airport, it is located at Guarulhos city.

Using GRU to refer to Sao Paulo city is almost the same as using EWK to refer to New York city ^
I thought CGH is the main one. That is where I flew in from SDU. (Added, I mean main city airport in Săo Paulo)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:29 am

A few Brazilian cities have both in-town airports that handle some domestic flights and international airports on the edge of the city that serve both domestic and international flights.
The in-town airports may be more convenient in terms of time and money for transportation, but fares are usually higher.
Both Congonhas (CGH) in Săo Paulo and Santos Dumont (SDU) in Rio are the in-town airports for those cities.
I would not call either of them the "main" airport for their respective cities, in terms of number of flights or passengers.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
A few Brazilian cities have both in-town airports that handle some domestic flights and international airports on the edge of the city that serve both domestic and international flights.
The in-town airports may be more convenient in terms of time and money for transportation, but fares are usually higher.
Both Congonhas (CGH) in Săo Paulo and Santos Dumont (SDU) in Rio are the in-town airports for those cities.
I would not call either of them the "main" airport for their respective cities, in terms of number of flights or passengers.
I know that but what airport is SAO? That's just reference to all airports in Săo Paulo. I'm not an idiot. I know the international airports are GIG and GRU, but I had never heard of SAo and the proper IATA code for GRU is that.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:09 am
HMO

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm sure there's plenty of safe places to stay in GRU, but I can't escape all the negative comments!
Originally Posted by mkjr
I know that but what airport is SAO? That's just reference to all airports in Săo Paulo. I'm not an idiot. I know the international airports are GIG and GRU, but I had never heard of SAo and the proper IATA code for GRU is that.
I never saw someone refer to "how to stay at New York City" as
  • "how to stay at JFK" or
  • "how to stay at EWR" or
  • "how to stay at LGA"

But I saw several times "how to stay at NYC"

There isn't a NYC airport. But NYC is a valid IATA code. Like SAO, RIO, LON...

We are not discussing that GRU isn't the right ATA code for the main int'l airport which serves SAO. You are right, it is. ^

But referring to Sao Paulo City as GRU, you may end in a hotel at Guarulhos city, not exactly the closest location for the main destinations at Săo Paulo City.

Anyway, re-reading the thread, I do believe Vida na Praia reply was partially intended to drvannostren, and I followed (wrongly) his lead. It wasn't my intention to offend you. Sorry.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Didn't mean for a problem to develop over anything I posted.

One point I wanted to make to poster drvannostren was simply that if he wanted a hotel in the city of Săo Paulo, asking for one at GRU/Guarulhos, an hour away from the city, might inadvertently end him up in an inconvenient location for touring the city of Săo Paulo.
Some people do want and request a hotel in Guarulhos, particularly if they have a long layover, and may use that hotel as a base for a quick foray into the city, hence the advice to clearly differentiate.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Kinda forgot about the thread, I ended up booking the Ibis Budget _____ ______ I forget the whole name, just off Paulista. The pics look good and the price was decent. Though not being able to shake some of the worry off SP along with weather (since I'll be on days off from a place that'll still be frozen solid) I decided to spend 2 days in SP and a weekend in Rio at the Best Western a couple blocks off Copacabana beach. Very excited to check out both cities for a bit and HOPEFULLY catch a futbol match, that would be awesome I think.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:26 pm

What specifically is your worry about S.P.?
It is congested, polluted, expensive, but not IMO particularly dangerous for (essentially) a tourist. Maybe if you were known to be a rich businessman with local family members who had a very regular schedule, that family might be at risk. Otherwise, normal big city travel precautions hold, but nbd.
And in comparison to Rio, SP is just not very interesting, IMO.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 29, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:24 pm

Didn't mean for a problem to develop over anything I posted.

One point I wanted to make to poster drvannostren was simply that if he wanted a hotel in the city of Săo Paulo, asking for one at GRU/Guarulhos, an hour away from the city, might inadvertently end him up in an inconvenient location for touring the city of Săo Paulo.
Some people do want and request a hotel in Guarulhos, particularly if they have a long layover, and may use that hotel as a base for a quick foray into the city, hence the advice to clearly differentiate.
now i understand....
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
What specifically is your worry about S.P.?
It is congested, polluted, expensive, but not IMO particularly dangerous for (essentially) a tourist. Maybe if you were known to be a rich businessman with local family members who had a very regular schedule, that family might be at risk. Otherwise, normal big city travel precautions hold, but nbd.
And in comparison to Rio, SP is just not very interesting, IMO.
I'm American and have been to SP five times over the last two years. I would agree that the area around the Renaissance Hotel and Avenida Paulista are pretty much safe day and night, but would not agree with your generalized statement. Non centro areas like Bras, Tatuape, et al in Zona Leste are okay at night near restaurants/bars. The metro is safe but be aware after exiting some stations. However, you go out to Itaquera where my son lives and it is clearly not that safe to wander around at night, particularly if you are probably one of ten Americans out of the approximately 205,000 that live in that area. Be careful about generalizing the overall safety of SP.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by george 3
I'm American and have been to SP five times over the last two years. I would agree that the area around the Renaissance Hotel and Avenida Paulista are pretty much safe day and night, but would not agree with your generalized statement. Non centro areas like Bras, Tatuape, et al in Zona Leste are okay at night near restaurants/bars. The metro is safe but be aware after exiting some stations. However, you go out to Itaquera where my son lives and it is clearly not that safe to wander around at night, particularly if you are probably one of ten Americans out of the approximately 205,000 that live in that area. Be careful about generalizing the overall safety of SP.
When I said " tourist", most would be taking taxis IMO, not trying to figure out the metro at night or what individual street is OK in some neighborhood they are unlikely to have reason to visit on one short trip.
Potential tourists sometimes envision SP as a hell-hole where a typical tourist-type or visiting business person is at risk every moment, and where there is continuous risk of kidnap or armed assault, which is what I was attempting to address. Statistics probably reinforce the idea about the very small percentage of all international tourists who experience violent crime in Brazil.
I suppose a US tourist from a small town of 5000 might lack basic street smarts for NYC or Paris, as well as SP or Rio, though, and perhaps be at increased risk of making him/herself vulnerable in any of those.
(People on forums often ask for a specific description of streets that are OK/not OK in a city where they can't even find the main thoroughfare, but have no idea of basic urban precautions, so I don't find that type of info at all useful.)

As someone female and obviously not Brazilian looking who has been wandering, most often solo, around all sorts of places all over Brazil, many quite a bit poorer/more rundown than Itaquera and with nary another foreigner for many km., over a couple of decades and many trips/stays now, I can say that that level of peril (described above) has not been even close to my experience. However, anywhere in Brazil, particularly in urban areas, one needs to be vigilant, and plan carefully, to not present an opportunity to someone who may see you as vulnerable. I can only speak about my own experience and what I have learned from it, which are not generalizations, but reassurances to this particular traveler who seemed overly influenced (IMO) by scare stories s/he'd read. After all, I can get mugged (and as a female, worse still) in any parking garage in my urban home city in the US too, or on an urban street in a good neighborhood there, so I take equal care in Brazil.

Continued good travels to you.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
When I said " tourist", most would be taking taxis IMO, not trying to figure out the metro at night or what individual street is OK in some neighborhood they are unlikely to have reason to visit on one short trip.
Potential tourists sometimes envision SP as a hell-hole where a typical tourist-type or visiting business person is at risk every moment, and where there is continuous risk of kidnap or armed assault, which is what I was attempting to address. Statistics probably reinforce the idea about the very small percentage of all international tourists who experience violent crime in Brazil.
I suppose a US tourist from a small town of 5000 might lack basic street smarts for NYC or Paris, as well as SP or Rio, though, and perhaps be at increased risk of making him/herself vulnerable in any of those.
(People on forums often ask for a specific description of streets that are OK/not OK in a city where they can't even find the main thoroughfare, but have no idea of basic urban precautions, so I don't find that type of info at all useful.)

As someone female and obviously not Brazilian looking who has been wandering, most often solo, around all sorts of places all over Brazil, many quite a bit poorer/more rundown than Itaquera and with nary another foreigner for many km., over a couple of decades and many trips/stays now, I can say that that level of peril (described above) has not been even close to my experience. However, anywhere in Brazil, particularly in urban areas, one needs to be vigilant, and plan carefully, to not present an opportunity to someone who may see you as vulnerable. I can only speak about my own experience and what I have learned from it, which are not generalizations, but reassurances to this particular traveler who seemed overly influenced (IMO) by scare stories s/he'd read. After all, I can get mugged (and as a female, worse still) in any parking garage in my urban home city in the US too, or on an urban street in a good neighborhood there, so I take equal care in Brazil.

Continued good travels to you.
I duly note your comments about Brazil, and in particular if you are a female traveling alone. Yes, urban street smarts help you city to city because you develop an instinct for foreseeing trouble. And yes, crime in Brazil happens even in the good neighborhoods. We just learned of one instance involving one of our new friends here. Then again, we were at a restaurant last evening near Juá and Haddock and saw a number of single women walking along the street at around 10pm or so. I'm guessing they have familiarity with the area. So your words of advice - to be aware is very sound indeed.

Safe travels to you e prospero ano novo a vocé.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:02 am

Any suggestions on a hotel in Vila Madelena? Our budget is anywhere from $75-125 for two bed hotel. Travel dates Feb 7-10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.