Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Train from Sao Paulo to Rio

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Train from Sao Paulo to Rio

Does anyone know anything about the train from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro?

I have seen it mentioned on web sites, but have been unable to find out anything further. Does anyone know how I can find out about times, prices, the type of accommodation available (I understand the train runs overnight), and whether or not it is to be recommended?
Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:59 pm

I have not done it by train, but did do it by tour bus. We booked it through a travel agency in Sao Paulo maybe 8 years ago. $72 U.S. got us the ride there & back, 2 nights in a decent hotel and several meals. I would guess the bus was much more comfortable than a regular train (but could be wrong...).

One of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen was waking up in the bus to sunrise over Rio!

JP
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:28 am

Found this link:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=tra

The Brazilian passenger rail network is in tatters, and busses have taken over as the main mode of long-distance transportation. Most passenger rail services these days are tourist trains with an emphasis on the experience (either scenery, classic cars, service) over price or speed.

The Sao Paolo-Rio line is certainly one, as is the Curitiba-Paranagua line I very much enjoyed.

Long distance busses are certainly not romantic, but comfortable, inexpensive, and a good way to see the Brazilian countryside. Do select an air-conditioned service though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.