Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Official - Visa Free Travel June 1 - Sept. 18 (US, CAN, AUS, JPN)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official - Visa Free Travel June 1 - Sept. 18 (US, CAN, AUS, JPN)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
Does anybody have info on whether or not this waiver applies to US citizens when crossing land borders in private cars into Brazil? (the private car is registered in Rio and being driven by my Brazilian citizen friend) I have searched many places and kept reading almost conflicting information.
Yes, it does.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by C010T3
Yes, it does.
Thank you!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Has anyone tried the visa-free travel yet? I'll arrive in approximately 48 hours and was interested in hearing about any hassle when trying to leave your origin.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by ianmanka
Has anyone tried the visa-free travel yet? I'll arrive in approximately 48 hours and was interested in hearing about any hassle when trying to leave your origin.
Any update ianmanka?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Is this visa on arrival?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a valid 10 year visa and arrived back in Brazil this morning. The AAgent who checked me in last night didn't even look for a visa. The Brazilian borders agent scanned the front page of my passport and asked me how long I will be staying, he tried to put an authorization through a computer system but it bounced. I then directed him to the visa which he keyed in manually and that worked, he gave me the usual CLAS 1 DOC 3 stamp. It took about 4 minutes vs the 30 seconds most of the Brazilian passport holders were taking.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ACC2008
Is this visa on arrival?
No, visa on arrival doesn't exist in Brazil. It's either visa freedom or common visa.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Just came back from Brazil!

AA agents in NY knew about the visa free scheme, and only checked for the passport photo page.

When I got to Brazil, it was a quick 30 second process of scanning the passport and stamping it.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:42 am

duplicate post
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any experience with this on DL yet?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222
Any update ianmanka?
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Just came back from Brazil!

AA agents in NY knew about the visa free scheme, and only checked for the passport photo page.

When I got to Brazil, it was a quick 30 second process of scanning the passport and stamping it.
Oops, sorry for not seeing this sooner. My experience was identical to yours. From another thread on the AA forum:

When checking in for my flight to GIG on June 4th, the JFK agent asked if I had a visa (with a smile), and I said that one was not required because of the Olympics. He was just having some fun.

In fact, the large electronic billboard in JFK T8 occasionally shows a message from the Brazil tourism board which proudly proclaims you don't need a visa to visit Brazil. So for those who encounter any issues at JFK, refer them to the very large sign (post-security).

I encountered the same thing when entering Brazil -- I misheard the immigration agent when she asked if I had a visa and said that I did have one. She spent the next half-minute searching my passport for the Brazil visa, then I clarified that I did not have a visa, but had the waiver. They type a numeric code for those who qualify for the visa waiver, and a different code for those who have the standard 10-year visa. I hope government officials see the uptick in tourism and make the visa waiver permanent!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:56 pm

What "uptick" would that be? None that relates to normal tourism, and a fail even attendance (by ticket sales) for this special event is low.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
What "uptick" would that be? None that relates to normal tourism, and a fail even attendance (by ticket sales) for this special event is low.
Just the number of people taking advantage of the visa-free program from June through September. If the quantity is significant, there's a possibility it could be extended, even without concessions by the United States (e.g. allowing Brazil into Visa Waiver Program).
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:03 am

Just the number of people taking advantage of the visa-free program from June through September. If the quantity is significant, there's a possibility it could be extended, even without concessions by the United States (e.g. allowing Brazil into Visa Waiver Program).
a) There are not significant numbers of people. Attendance (measured by ticket sales to events, as well as flight reservations), is anticipated to be quite low. They are starting to give away large numbers of event tickets to locals just to fill venues.
b) NO. No possibility whatsoever (IMO). Not until the US allows Brazilians to enter the US without a visa.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Not until the US allows Brazilians to enter the US without a visa.
Is that even a remote possibility in the next 20 to 30 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.