NYC to GIG Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

NYC to GIG Questions

Hello

I'm new to the boards so don't judge me

I am going to Rio in August from NYC

I'm in my early 20s and just have recently begun to started traveling and backpacking. I have some AA and Delta miles, cheapest I found was $800 roundtrip from JFK. Anyone think I could get a better deal on this. Not looking to take TAM if I don't have to.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:08 pm

That's a pretty good fare, low season.

Call BACC Travel in NYC, a Brazilian agency, to see how their price compares; they are usually very competitive and know the market.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dahotone
I have some AA and Delta miles, cheapest I found was $800 roundtrip from JFK. Anyone think I could get a better deal on this. Not looking to take TAM if I don't have to.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If you have AA miles (assuming you have enough of them) you can fly direct from JFK on AA or TAM (their OneWorld alliance partner). Delta will involve a stopover in ATL.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:40 pm

There have been some very good fares recently, around $700 return from NYC to GIG. Try BACC, as suggested, a very good idea. Have fun.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:42 am

That fare is on what airline? AA or Delta? AA and TAM would be non-stop. Your fare looks good. AA is switching from 777s to767s for this route. We're taking it this summer. You can find fares as well as anyone else, with any of a number of Web sites. I doubt you'd get much better than you have, but I'm not an expert. You could always check Copa Airlines (change of planes at Panama City), Avianca, Taca, etc., if extra stops don't bother you. Why do you want to avoid TAM?

Also check fares to GRU, not all that far from Rio.

Last edited by SoCal; Apr 16, 2015 at 11:50 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
That fare is excellent, particularly for that time of year. I'd go with it.

And I echo what SoCal asked: Why don't you want to fly TAM? They're perfectly fine (well, they're at least equal to and often better than any of the main US carriers.)
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:04 am

If you can get $800 r.t. on AA and TAM isn't cheaper, I'd go with what you've found. At least if you want a non-stop.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate all the responses
^

That fare I was able to get on studentuniverse which was limited seating on AA
$800 RT

Now currently my dates just went up in price $100 bucks more

However I found a $730 leaving out of Newark with 1 stop in MIA on AA
Going to go with that and save some money

Thanks guys

Last edited by dahotone; Apr 18, 2015 at 1:32 pm
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dahotone
Appreciate all the responses
^

That fare I was able to get on studentuniverse which was limited seating on AA
$800 RT

Now currently my dates just went up in price $100 bucks more

However I found a $730 leaving out of Newark with 1 stop in MIA on AA
Going to go with that and save some money

Thanks guys
What's the rush? Your trip is more than 3 months from today. Why don't you wait and see if the price goes down.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
What's the rush? Your trip is more than 3 months from today. Why don't you wait and see if the price goes down.
And what is prices go up? Can't say "I'd like that earlier price, please." It's a peak travel time from the U.S. The first fare they found, a non-stop, already is gone. Now they found a lower one out of EWR, but requires a stop. This fare could also disappear. Or OP could find a lower one. It's a risk.

Last edited by SoCal; Apr 20, 2015 at 7:27 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by SoCal
And what is prices go up? Can't say "I'd like that earlier price, please." It's a peak travel time from the U.S. The first fare they found, a non-stop, already is gone. Now they found a lower one out of EWR, but requires a stop. This fare could also disappear. Or OP could find a lower one. It's a risk.
According to Kayak's prediction you're right:

Advice: BUY
Confidence: 79%
Prices may rise within 7 days
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks all

Yeah I don't want to risk it, also I want to get my visa well in advanced. Anyway I got a great deal I was able to score it for $720, w/ the one stopover in MIA from EWR. I don't think I can't get a much better deal than what I found.

Thanks guys for all help. My first time in Rio, looking to have a great time!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:20 am

Buying non-refundable fare before you get a visa?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoCal
Buying non-refundable fare before you get a visa?
You need to have your travel itinerary before you get accepted for a visa to brazil at least at my consulate. I guess I could have gotten a travel agency to do this for me without paying for the actual flight. However I doubt there will be any issues. Talked to a few friends who got their visa, they told me the visa process is fairly easy. Anyway I think its time to end this thread, got the answers I needed. Thanks again.

Last edited by dahotone; Apr 23, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 2:44 pm

I have a question as well, AA and TAM both fly 763 from JFK-GIG, which one should I take? assuming the price is the same. I plan to fly in September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.