Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Any issues using the last few days of a business visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM

I am a US citizen with a five-year Brazilian multiple-entry Type 2 business visa issued on xx November 2009. I understand that it will expire on xx November 2014. I have used it for seven trips so far with no issues whatsoever.

I have just received a short-notice request from a prospective Brazilian customer for a two-day meeting in Brazil that I would like to honor, but to do so with this visa will require me to travel about a week before its expiration. I will have a confirmed and ticketed return flight.

In theory it seems to me this should work, but I wonder if there might be an issue due to the closeness of the expiration date. Does anyone have any thoughts or practical experience. The alternative is to defer the meeting, possibly for months as we get into the holidays, while I apply for a new visa.

Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:37 am

The visa is good for its full validity.
Are you planning on overstaying?
An overstay on a tourist vida is really no big deal, about R$8 per day in fines, but don't know if this works the same way for a business visa or has any effect on the next time you apply.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Are you planning on overstaying?
No, I always play it straight. Just wanted to see if there might be a problem.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I can't be certain for Brazil, but for the US the visa for tourism and normal business is something that establishes the period of time during which a person can apply for admission, not the length of time they are allowed to stay. I would expect that it is the same or very similar for Brazil. Some specialty visas for the US do establish a length of stay. I believe most countries require that a person's passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond time of entry. At time of entry, the immigration official can specify the length of stay for the tourist or normal business visa if it is outside of the norm. I have had this happen when entering Brazil in the past when for some reason I was asked how long I was staying, replied 2 weeks, and was given a month. The entries on either side of this entry were not limited (both a month before and a month after). Don't have that problem now with residency.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by qfrodo
I can't be certain for Brazil, but for the US the visa for tourism and normal business is something that establishes the period of time during which a person can apply for admission, not the length of time they are allowed to stay. I would expect that it is the same or very similar for Brazil. Some specialty visas for the US do establish a length of stay. I believe most countries require that a person's passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond time of entry. At time of entry, the immigration official can specify the length of stay for the tourist or normal business visa if it is outside of the norm. I have had this happen when entering Brazil in the past when for some reason I was asked how long I was staying, replied 2 weeks, and was given a month. The entries on either side of this entry were not limited (both a month before and a month after). Don't have that problem now with residency.
Off topic, IMO.
If the OP has a visa valid for a certain length of time, the prazo/stay on that visa would not be able to be longer, even at the discretion of the border official.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Off topic, IMO.
If the OP has a visa valid for a certain length of time, the prazo/stay on that visa would not be able to be longer, even at the discretion of the border official.
Hi VidaNaPraia, I said what you said, only in a different way using different words. "Some specialty visas for the US do establish a length of stay. "

If the OP has a normal tourist/business visa, I would expect it to be like the U.S., where it sets the time during which a person can apply for admission and does not control the length of stay.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
Hi VidaNaPraia, I said what you said, only in a different way using different words. "Some specialty visas for the US do establish a length of stay. "

If the OP has a normal tourist/business visa, I would expect it to be like the U.S., where it sets the time during which a person can apply for admission and does not control the length of stay.
As I read the question, the OP asked if the Brazilian business visa in his passport was good for the full time of its validity. The answer is yes.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

As I read the question, the OP asked if the Brazilian business visa in his passport was good for the full time of its validity. The answer is yes.
Yes, that was my question. My passport has 3 years left, so that is not an issue. Last visit was in December 2013 and I would only be in Brazil on this upcoming visit for three days, so length of stay is not an issue. I will have a paid return ticket, so that is not an issue. I have had many visits on business (some quite short) in the past, so there should be no reason to doubt my bonafides.

Just wanted to see if anybody had had issues with arriving near the end of the period of validity, and apparently nobody has.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

It worked out fine

A little loop closing here:

I went ahead and made the trip. At passport control the agent looked at the visa, counted oh her fingers, smiled, and said, "You know you only have nine days?" She then stamped my passport and said "Good day."

So no need to worry, it is good to the last day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.