Wiki Posts
Search

Best Weekend Trip from SAO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Best Weekend Trip from SAO

I have three days to kill while in Sao Paulo in August and would love suggestions of a weekend trip to take. Traveling by air is not a problem, so I am not limited to Sao Paulo state.

I have been to Rio and the Falls, so am looking for other options. Curitiba? Salvador?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:37 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Curiitiba is a nice city but there is not much to do there. And August is winter in Brazil, so you risk to get bad weather from São Paulo to the south. Salvador is hit or miss, I would go there only for a specific event / occasion.

São Paulo (the city) is a very interesting city, as is Rio. Personally, I would stay at one of these two cities, doing something different from what you already have done, but I do not know what do you like. Is it the beach? Nature? Arts?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by NPF
Curiitiba is a nice city but there is not much to do there. And August is winter in Brazil, so you risk to get bad weather from São Paulo to the south. Salvador is hit or miss, I would go there only for a specific event / occasion.

São Paulo (the city) is a very interesting city, as is Rio. Personally, I would stay at one of these two cities, doing something different from what you already have done, but I do not know what do you like. Is it the beach? Nature? Arts?
I must be very easily entertained having been to Curitiba 3 times and Salvador half a dozen times and can't wait to get back. Do you really think that someone who has never been to Salvador would not be able to find enough local distinct experiences to keep them happily occupied for 3 days? - Boat trips, Pelourinho ,Afro-Brasilian culture, beaches (where you can swim comfortably in August), easily accessible resorts.
I've spent too many gloomy/rainy August days in Rio to recommend it at that time of year especially when the OP is looking for something different
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:45 am

1) Salvador is great.
2) Also Recife/Olinda.
3) Rio
3) Lots of beaches. Paraty, Ilha Grande. Or those even closer to S.P.
4) Colonial towns in Minas (Ouro Preto, etc)
(another vote for) Curitiba as BORING++++
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cmhua777
I have three days to kill while in Sao Paulo in August and would love suggestions of a weekend trip to take. Traveling by air is not a problem, so I am not limited to Sao Paulo state.

I have been to Rio and the Falls, so am looking for other options. Curitiba? Salvador?
It really comes down to what you want to do. 3 days is enough to get anywhere in Brazil from SAO. You can go to the beach in NE ( Natal, Fortaleza, Aracaju or Joao Pessoa ) where the weather will be nice. You can visit Salvador, a very interesting city or any other in Brazil.

On my last short breaks I went to Fortaleza with my wife in April and to Campos do Jordao last week. Both were great, we had great weather in FOR and in Campos it was cold enough to enjoy the fondues, wine, etc...

PM me if you need more info.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:19 pm
NPF

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I must be very easily entertained having been to Curitiba 3 times and Salvador half a dozen times and can't wait to get back. Do you really think that someone who has never been to Salvador would not be able to find enough local distinct experiences to keep them happily occupied for 3 days? - Boat trips, Pelourinho ,Afro-Brasilian culture, beaches (where you can swim comfortably in August), easily accessible resorts.
I've spent too many gloomy/rainy August days in Rio to recommend it at that time of year especially when the OP is looking for something different
You liked Salvador and Curitiba. Good for you.

As I said, they are not for me. I have asked the OP what are his interests. Or do you believe that because you liked them everyone must like these cities and the activities you listed?

What are you suggesting? That these activities must be universally agreeable to all of mankind?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by NPF
You liked Salvador and Curitiba. Good for you.

As I said, they are not for me. I have asked the OP what are his interests. Or do you believe that because you liked them everyone must like these cities and the activities you listed?

What are you suggesting? That these activities must be universally agreeable to all of mankind?

No, simply posting my opinion which is what the OP is seeking from us. I'm happy for someone else to disagree with my opinion and have no problem with them posting their different views here.
And I won't take offence nor roll my eyes at them for doing so.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's all a bit silly - trying to advise someone you don't know, whose interests you only guess at, how to spend a few days in a country the size of continent.

All we can reflect is how we would spend those days. Given exchange rates and the cost of travel I'd opt for staying in the culture and fun capital of South America.

But pushed, and putting aside the tiresome question of funding, I'd suggest a culture high in Olinda coupled with edgy Recife and the easy charm of Porto de Galinhas. Or an eco-lodge on the Amazon, or .....
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:12 am
NPF

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
No, simply posting my opinion which is what the OP is seeking from us. I'm happy for someone else to disagree with my opinion and have no problem with them posting their different views here.
And I won't take offence nor roll my eyes at them for doing so.
Thanks for not rolling your eyes on me

Cheers!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:18 am

If you've got a bit more cash to burn and wouldn't mind a rural locale, you could always try heading to the Pantanal. Or the PR coast if you want to get away from the bustle of city life (and still pass through Curitiba).
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:59 pm

sunny Fortaleza.

http://youtu.be/WgASIeplEPk

http://www.turismobrasil.gov.br/prom...Fortaleza.html
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by cmhua777

I would either go to Búzios or to some resort on the Southern coast of Bahia around Porto Seguro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.