Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

How to fly cheap with a lot of excess baggage domestic Brazil? (RIO -> BSB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Hello dear community! I am very new here and would need your help please, cause I am still unsure after hours of searching the web...

We are 2 adults and want to fly oneway on 21th December from Rio de Janeiro (doesnt care if GIG or SDU) to Brasilia (BSB). The tickets are really cheap, starting at around 40 USD.
The problem is, that we would have estimated 5 bags. Each bag will have around 25 KG. So it would be (125 - 23 - 23 = 79) 79 KG of excess baggage, maybe a little less.
So it won't make sense to just buy the cheapest ticket. It would make sense to buy the ticket at the airline, which offers the cheapest prices for excess baggage.

This route is flown on that day by GOL, LATAM and Avianca Brasil. Do you have any experiences on which airlines it is cheap to travel with excess baggage inside Brazil?
It seems as the prices differ a lot (if I am not wrong):
  • At GOL it would be around USD 10 to USD 15.
  • At LATAM I did not find anything for domestic Brazil flights. Sometimes I read something about 0,5% of full fare and sometimes there are fixed prices per KG. I also don't know, what the full fare is. I think it is not the same as the ticket price which I payd. Is it an internal fare of the airline? Maybe the most expensive and daily refreshed?

Do you know what is the cheapest way for me? It seems as Avianca Brasil would be the one.
I have oneworld Emerald status, which should bring 20 KG free extra at LATAM (oneworld), but I think that Avianca Brasil is still cheaper alltogether.

I would be very thankful and happy for all your tips!

Last edited by jgreil; Oct 3, 2016 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:46 am

Pay or take the bus.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Try to get it included in your international flight, assuming you have one.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by DrewBach
Try to get it included in your international flight, assuming you have one.

Used to be possible if you were continuing on immediately from an international flight, but no more.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:38 am

Usually it is cheaper (or "less expensive") if you pay for the extra baggage in advance. Check the airline website.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:31 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
If you don't need keep the baggage with you, truck freight is the cheapest way.

http://www.transvias.com.br/1/19/135...strito-federal

My business has used Sigma and Marklog in the past (but not to Brasília) and both were fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.