Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

GIG has no international delays today 27th December!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others

I just checked and the international arrivals and departures today at GIG have ben almost all on time. It seems hard to believe after the last few days of delays, but those are the latest reports as of 15:21 in Rio.

Flightstats was my source.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:13 am

According to news sources cited in a Brazilian newspaper, 21% of 96 domestic flights out of GIG were late (usually means at least 30 mins.) and 2 were canceled. Out of 27 international flights, 3 were late and 1 was canceled. The 21% rate was similar for domestic flights out of GRU (Sao Paulo's largest airport). Delays are common at this time of year, especially for flights originating in or ging to southern states, where there is more rain.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
The cancelled gig international flight were to JFK and other us according to my af check in clerk. Domestic obviously continues to be a mess.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:21 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
How is weather in Rio on late january? I'm arriving from Peru on jan 20, for 5 days. Didn't know it was rainy season right now..
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I just checked and the international arrivals and departures today at GIG have ben almost all on time. It seems hard to believe after the last few days of delays, but those are the latest reports as of 15:21 in Rio.
Can you put this in thread in context? What happened the last few days?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

There have been serous delays in most Brazil airports, connected in part to a planned strike, as a result of which most airports are short staffed. International flights have been less affected than domestic, but weather in the USA and Europe has exacerbated these problems.

Weather in Rio in January is often rainy and hot. Conditions change as weather does so keep up with forecasts.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:56 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Weather in Rio in January is often rainy and hot. Conditions change as weather does so keep up with forecasts.
Thanks, my trip is in 2 weeks, I'll be checking.
Do rains last a long time during these days? Or they are short like in Miami, or just on afternoons?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Villavic
Thanks, my trip is in 2 weeks, I'll be checking.
Do rains last a long time during these days? Or they are short like in Miami, or just on afternoons?
The rains of Rio are not so consistent as are those of Miami. Sometimes it can rain more or less continuously for multiple days, other times it can be clear for a week or more. The onion solution is to keep checking the weather. Also keep up on the Brazil travel news because there are still threatened strikes by airport workers, AFAIK. I am slightly out of touch myself because I have been in France for a few weeks and will be for the next two weeks also, so I am slightly disconnected from life in Rio.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:34 am

One Brazilian paper reported 28% of the nation's flights were late yesterday. As noted, rains can be brief, or can last for days. The worst rains so far, according to Brazilian media, have apparently been to the south of Rio. Some bad flooding there. We're in Fortaleza, usually a relatively dry area, but last night there was a big thunderstorm, lasting several hours. 135mm of rain in 9 hours. Rio is less tropical than Miami, with rains more seasonal, and not just a brief, warm shower, as I recall. Roads can sometimes get flooded due to insufficient draimage (or drains plugged by garbage). I generally avoided swimming in the beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema, due to pollution, even when worked there 15 years ago, but would definitely advise not going into the water after heavy rains, due to so much pollution being washed into the ocean (which is still cleaner than Guanabara Bay-- I wouldn't put my toe into that water). On the bright side, there's still plenty to do in the city.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Had 3 days of rain in VIX right before New Years day. Had so news casts of severe flooding in the area. Flights were being canceled. Then the system slide south and things cleared up in VIX. However, on Monday my flight VIX-GIG was delayed 2 hours. Other flights were also delayed. Arrived at GIG to wet tarmac, but rain had stopped or was very light. Connecting flight to US was on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.