Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Will DC Follow This Eliminating Award Fuel Charge Precedent??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold

http://www.flysas.com/en/EuroBonus/N...arge/?vst=true

Its time to return some sanity into award travel economics
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Note! Some of our airline partners impose fuel surcharge on award flights and it will be collected at time of ticketing.

you mean, will DC remove fuel surcharges from BMI flights?
or are you hoping/dreaming/fantasizing of something more?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
They already don't charge a surcharge on British flights.... I suspect no more than that is going to be expected though, too profitable to leave the charges on there.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
At best they would remove the YQ from their own operated flights to DC members which is what SK have done with their flights to EB members. If they did there wouldn't be a great deal of benefit to most of us here. After all there is already no YQ on European routes, so it would only really help those flying on redemptions to places like DME, JED, CAI etc. I think the majority here redeem on *A partners and there is no chance BD would absorb YQ charges on other carriers (not any more!)
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
But I wonder, if they would remove YQ charges, then perhaps we would be more incentivised to book award travel. Therefore we would be increasing our travel, shopping just so we get more BMI points, which is still a big revenue to BMI. Didn't AA raise 1 billion buy selling points to Citi, recently? If we're not spending, Citi is not going to buy points either.

I am sitting on loads of BMI points, but not much interested in spending them. And not interested in gaining any more either. But if YQ would be dropped, I'd be rushing to book more flights, shop more, etc.

Similar psychology games as BOGOF. We don't necessarily need 96 tablets of dishwasher tablets, but we'd probably buy it, just because its BOGOF.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by arpiuk
But I wonder, if they would remove YQ charges, then perhaps we would be more incentivised to book award travel.
I honestly don't think that there is any great incentive for BD to try to push us to book award travel. The uncertainty over BD and Diamond Club this year has already caused a big shift in the balance between miles earned and miles spent in 2009. There is no reason to push this further as a business at the moment.

I can't see BD removing YQ from partner tickets unless SK specifically waive the costs to BD. At the moment they are only willing to waive these costs to their own members. BD covering the cost of SK's YQ would be commercial suicide.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by RAPC
I can't see BD removing YQ from partner tickets unless SK specifically waive the costs to BD. At the moment they are only willing to waive these costs to their own members. BD covering the cost of SK's YQ would be commercial suicide.
I find this whole YQ business to be a rip off. For the same itin on VS, I got three different set of taxes from VS (GBP 230), CO (GBP 107) and BD (GBP 244). Similarly, a BD redemption booked using BD miles would have a total tax component of more than GBP 100, the same if booked with CO miles GBP 70.
I doubt CO will be booking losses on redemption by absorbing YQ- I think it is more like BD making a profit which it does not want to give up.

Last edited by LonLH; Dec 6, 2009 at 9:08 am
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
I doubt CO will be booking losses on redemption by absorbing YQ- I think it is more like BD making a profit which it does not want to give up.
CO have a different relationship with VS than BD. BD can't waive parts of VS YQ as VS want it in full. Hardly profiteering is it?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:04 pm

CO have a different relationship with VS than BD. BD can't waive parts of VS YQ as VS want it in full. Hardly profiteering is it?
Fair enough- how come CO taxes are less on award flights on BD metal compared to a DC redemption on BD metal?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:36 pm

Fair enough- how come CO taxes are less on award flights on BD metal compared to a DC redemption on BD metal?
Interesting, as a CO Plat as well, I have found them to be the same as BD, except when CO or VS is in use when using the online award tool.

That said, it costs a lot more miles on CO to redeem, hence I'd rather put up with a bit of YQ as the cost of earning / buying the miles is a lot higher.

Last edited by RAPC; Dec 6, 2009 at 1:58 pm
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:47 am

That said, it costs a lot more miles on CO to redeem, hence I'd rather put up with a bit of YQ as the cost of earning / buying the miles is a lot higher.
If you don't consider miles plus cash, I found CO to be cheaper than BD.
For example, an F redemption to South East Asia from Europe cost 200K miles with BD. It is only 160K with CO.
To south Asia, 125K with BD, 120 K with CO.
To Middle East, 100K with BD, 80K with CO.
I have a lot of CO miles to burn from their SkyTeam days when as a plat I used to get 2x miles on their transatlantic bizz fares (plus 1.25 Plat bonus)- now it does not make any sense to earn one pass miles. That said, redemptions are cheaper and taxes usually lower (and never higher).
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:22 am

If you don't consider miles plus cash, I found CO to be cheaper than BD.
Very true, but the main reason why many of us use DC is for C&M.

All good valid comparisons you make though. I notice you didn't add Europe to North or South America in there. That is very much in favour of Diamond Club even at full miles.

That said, using both programs for what suits best is key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.