Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

Aspirational BW properties for using Free Night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

It looks like I might end up with a couple BW free nights from their recent promotion. I'm really not that familiar with the nicer BW properties, so I'm curious as to the best uses for these free nights. Like for example, many FTers like to use Hyatt free nights at places like the Park Hyatt Paris or PH Tokyo.

I doubt that I'll have the flexibility to use my BW nights at the most optimal locations this time around, but if there are some good properties, maybe I'll do the promotion again in the future.

To start the list:

On my last trip to France, we visited Carcassonne. The only hotel within the castle walls is a BW. I'm not sure what it costs, but it sure seems like a cool place to stay.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:58 am

www.rebstock.com, a Best Western Premier property, dates from the year 1408. Located in the northern Bavaria city of Wurzburg, Germany, it is rated #1 on www.tripadvisor.com
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: PC
I had a good stay at this one - http://www.bwkatajanokka.fi/ It's a former prison Also, rated #4 in Helsinki on TA
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
OK, given the lack of interest in this thread, maybe I should conclude that BW doesn't have any aspirational properties!

So, how about we just list really expensive BW properties, aprirational or otherwise, which could be a good use for a free night.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
OK, given the lack of interest in this thread, maybe I should conclude that BW doesn't have any aspirational properties!

So, how about we just list really expensive BW properties, aprirational or otherwise, which could be a good use for a free night.
Frankly, I didn't reply because I didn't know what "aspirational" meant.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bearvest
Frankly, I didn't reply because I didn't know what "aspirational" meant.
It's a term that I believe was coined by Gleff to describe a trip or experience which would generally be beyond the realm of your normal spending patterns.

For example, you might aspire to fly first class on LH from NYC-FRA, but you probably wouldn't pay for that out of pocket. You might aspire to stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney, but you might not pay for that out of pocket.

In contrast, a non-aspirational use of miles or points is something that you could afford to do, and probably would do even if you didn't have enough points. Like he usually says he would not use points for an airport hotel, or to fly domestic coach.

Now the argument could be made that there are no 'aspirational' properties in all of the BW network. So that's why I relaxed the requirement to 'expensive'.

In other words, I'm just looking for interesting (and high value) uses of a free night voucher.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I doubt Gary Leff coined the term aspirational travel, but I think I might have inspired him last summer to coin the term "anti-aspirational awards".
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
Friday Harbor, WA

Last year we used a free night certificate at the Best Western Plus in Friday Harbor. While it is 36000 points now and then, during the summer the rooms are more expensive. The hallway with the rooms zig-zags (I'm assuming for more outside walls for balconies, etc.) and it was weird to walk down. http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=48164

The little electric vehicles that you could rent to run around the island were interesting to see.

My girlfriend picked up a set of china real cheap in a consignment store about a block from the ferry.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by satori
I doubt Gary Leff coined the term aspirational travel, but I think I might have inspired him last summer to coin the term "anti-aspirational awards".
Fair enough. How about we say that Gary seems to use term a lot.

Thanks for the coverage on your blog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.