Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Preferred Select & Go Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Avis Preferred Select & Go Service

Just got this via email today--- looks like a hybrid National EA concept but with advanced email notice. I wonder how this will work for Chairman's members?

As a valued customer and member of Avis Preferred®, we want to share exciting news about enhancements to your service. Beginning June 7, 2012 we're launching Avis Preferred Select & Go––a new service that puts you in control. Select & Go will be available at 50 airport locations in the United States and Canada by the end of 2012.

NEW Avis Preferred Select & Go
Select & Go gives you the freedom to select the vehicle that’s right for you and your trip. We will continue to pre-assign your vehicle based on your preferences, and now you’ll have three options when you reserve an intermediate or larger vehicle:

1. Keep: Check your email* or the Preferred board for your pre-assigned vehicle. If you’re happy with it, drive to the Exit Booth as usual.

2. Exchange: If your vehicle isn’t exactly what you want, select a different one from our Select & Go Exchange area at no extra charge.

3. Upgrade: Choose from our Select & Go Upgrade area—including Cool Cars, specialty vehicles, SUVs and more—for an additional daily charge.**

New Faster Service
Because your time is valuable, your Rental Agreement will no longer be in your vehicle. Simply drive your selected vehicle to the Exit Booth where an Avis representative will get you on your way quickly and easily––no additional paperwork required!

We thank you for making Avis your choice for your car rental needs and we look forward to you driving with us again soon.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
It's on the website too: https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...o-US_en-033067
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Oh NO!! This looks very bad. I much prefer the human element when picking up at Avis. At LAX I can get pretty much any available car I want but now I'll only be able to choose what the computer offers? Many times I get a really nice car that wasn't even listed as available, but I get it because the staff realizes it just hasn't been entered into the system yet. I hope this isn't a weak effort at laying off more staff.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by stimpy
Oh NO!! This looks very bad. I much prefer the human element when picking up at Avis. At LAX I can get pretty much any available car I want but now I'll only be able to choose what the computer offers? Many times I get a really nice car that wasn't even listed as available, but I get it because the staff realizes it just hasn't been entered into the system yet. I hope this isn't a weak effort at laying off more staff.
I'm not sure I follow your logic - how is this bad? From the sound of things, the computer is still going to pre-assign you a car. You can keep the car you're assigned, or go over to the Exchange area and choose a car from there. Presumably the station staff will replenish the exchange area on a regular basis, and if you're not satisfied with the selection in the Exchange area, you could still go speak to an agent.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Critic
I'm not sure I follow your logic - how is this bad? From the sound of things, the computer is still going to pre-assign you a car. You can keep the car you're assigned, or go over to the Exchange area and choose a car from there. Presumably the station staff will replenish the exchange area on a regular basis, and if you're not satisfied with the selection in the Exchange area, you could still go speak to an agent.
The problem is that with a computer there will be a limited and defined set of cars you can switch to. With a human there are no fixed limits. If you are allowed to, or can find an agent to help and they themselves will still be allowed to find a car for you, then fine. But I expect the worst with this, such as layoffs and stricter rules.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
I have a feeling this will be exactly the same as Hertz's Gold Choice. Where they put a bunch of regular boring cars at the Select & Go area then luxury cars with an upgrade fee. I hope they have a section for President's Club and Chairman members with better cars.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So if you're a base Avis Preferred member like me, how will you know what each of those upgrade charges is before you get into a Cool Car or whatever on the "upgrade" aisle?

I still think the straightforward National process is best - especially if you have midtier status or better (access to Exec Select). That's usually a Premium car, sometimes luxury, usually SUV if you need it, and occasionally something very good like an Infiniti or a Volvo. Always at the midsize rate.

Of course, I also understand stimpy's sentiment if you're renting from a location that knows you well and takes care of its own best customers. In that case, the more "process" the less wiggle room they have to give you cars outside the process.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Avis First, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AS
Originally Posted by stimpy
The problem is that with a computer there will be a limited and defined set of cars you can switch to. With a human there are no fixed limits. If you are allowed to, or can find an agent to help and they themselves will still be allowed to find a car for you, then fine. But I expect the worst with this, such as layoffs and stricter rules.
I agree and share your sentiment re LAX. Looking at the website, I see they wont be making any sort of a switch until August. Hopefully before they switch, I can request in my profile that they just have me walk in rather than wasting my time walking around the lot. Normally they upgrade me to a Mustang or better, I have a feeling this will now be in the "$$upgrade$$" area as a "Cool Car".
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
So if you're a base Avis Preferred member like me, how will you know what each of those upgrade charges is before you get into a Cool Car or whatever on the "upgrade" aisle?

I still think the straightforward National process is best - especially if you have midtier status or better (access to Exec Select). That's usually a Premium car, sometimes luxury, usually SUV if you need it, and occasionally something very good like an Infiniti or a Volvo. Always at the midsize rate.

Of course, I also understand stimpy's sentiment if you're renting from a location that knows you well and takes care of its own best customers. In that case, the more "process" the less wiggle room they have to give you cars outside the process.
The only way to know for sure, unless Avis posts some kind of video walk-through on their website (hint, hint, Avis) is to experience it for ourselves. I know I'll be renting from SFO at the end of July, so the Select & Go program should be in full effect by then; I'm happy to report back if someone doesn't beat me to it.

That said, I'm trying to keep an open mind. I prefer Ford products (in no small part due to my SYNC Services subscription, which I can take into any other SYNC-equipped vehicle, thus negating the need for a nav system), and every time I rent at SFO, I end up getting assigned a GM product, without fail. And every time, I have to go to the counter and practically BEG for a Ford product - ANY Ford product - instead. By my reckoning, Select & Go should save me a lot of hassle. But time will tell.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by nightracerx
I have a feeling this will be exactly the same as Hertz's Gold Choice. Where they put a bunch of regular boring cars at the Select & Go area then luxury cars with an upgrade fee. I hope they have a section for President's Club and Chairman members with better cars.
My email had an extra paragraph that said:

As a Chairman's Club member, you will still receive free upgrades when available, and now with Select & Go, you'll have more options to choose the vehicle that best fits you and your trip.

I don't think that they will have a separate section for Pres & Chairman, but I am not worried about car selection.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
My email had an extra paragraph that said:

As a Chairman's Club member, you will still receive free upgrades when available, and now with Select & Go, you'll have more options to choose the vehicle that best fits you and your trip.

I don't think that they will have a separate section for Pres & Chairman, but I am not worried about car selection.
My e-mail had the same sentence - and I'm First, not Chairman's.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Critic
My e-mail had the same sentence - and I'm First, not Chairman's.
Ditto here.

Actually, I quite like this. It seems like 50% of the time I get an "upgrade" to a vehicle I do not prefer (like a full-size SUV, or a bright orange Charger). Typically I do not switch because the hassle of going back to the Preferred counter is too much. Going to a kiosk may be an improvement.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
Note the addition in terms for the upgrade to a Cool Car--corporate LDW does not apply (not sure if it did before).

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/...avis.com_terms
28. Avis Preferred Select and Go Upgrades to Avis Cool Car

Avis offers you the opportunity to upgrade your rental vehicle to an Avis Cool Car at time of check out at participating locations as part of the Avis Preferred Select and Go service. You agree that if you utilize Avis Preferred Select and Go to upgrade to an Avis Cool Car, there will be an increase to the rental rate that you are obligated to pay. LDW is not included in this rental as part of any corporate or affiliated AWD program. If you would like LDW to apply to this rental, you will have to make that election for an additional cost at the exit plaza when you exit with the rental vehicle. If you do not elect LDW, you are responsible for all Damage to/Loss of the Car as set forth in paragraph 14.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:45 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

DFW had some spots up front painted with Select & Go when I was there yesterday. The spots were empty.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:03 pm

I think this will work out much better for me.

I always reserve a car in the luxury car (so there's nothing to upgrade to), but I have to go through great pains to avoid a Town Car. This way, I can just pick something else (ANYTHING ELSE) in that category and drive off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.