Search

Does Country of Residence matter?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Does Country of Residence matter?

Hi all

UK resident, trying to book a car in the USA for 15 days for an airport to airport pick up - if I check on AVIS then it offers me rates nearly double if I say UK resident versus US resident.

Does anyone pay any attention when hiring out if you meet the residency requirements or do they just issue the car regardless?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:29 am

Rate quote for a US resident usually does not include LDW and SLI and usually does for non-US residents
jimlad48 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks- thats helpful, but I don't know what either of those phrases mean, or what impact this has?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Quite the contrary - they only check for residency requirements if you book the UK rates (which includes all the insurance as outlined above) but are a US resident.
You can book the US rates as a non-resident and will get them honored, no problem. But the US rates do not inlclude any kind of insurance except a very basic third-party liability coverage, and the daily charge for re-adding those to your rental will me much much higher than using the all-inclusive UK rate.
The only case this would make sense is if you have a premium credit card with good rental car insurance coverage or bought a separate policy from, e.g. insurance4carhire.com.
Do yourself a favor and don't drive a rental car in the US without comprehensive, all-emcompassing insurance coverage. You do not want to deal with the consequences if you don't and something happens.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by jimlad48
Thanks- thats helpful, but I don't know what either of those phrases mean, or what impact this has?
https://www.avis.com/en/help/usa-faqs/cdw-insurance

you will need:
LDW : https://www.avis.com/en/products-and...-damage-waiver and
ALI: https://www.avis.com/en/products-and...lity-insurance
at the very least to minimize your financial exposure in case of accidents, theft etc.

In an nutshell, if you don't buy any insurance with the US rates, it's you who's liable for everything should anything happen, and the sums involved can get enormous.
jimlad48 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you - that is incredibly helpful!
Old Today, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Quite the contrary - they only check for residency requirements if you book the UK rates (which includes all the insurance as outlined above) but are a US resident.
Is this standard Avis practice? Hertz does not seem to care or check country of residency or license issuance. Nor did Budget the one time I tried a different country's rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.