Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have You Been Dinged for Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Avis First member here in the States.

What is happening here, beginning in January 2014, is that Avis has started a new program of precisely metering the fuel used in the vehicle and charging the delta on the tank,even if the fuel gauge indicates the tank is full on return.

My last rental in January lists the car as 404 miles driven, car returned with fuel FULL.

BUT...when I returned the car, AVIS measures the fuel use 'electronically' (probably by car fuel system and then adds a charge....

17.0 tank out
16.6 tank in

I was charged for 0.4 gallon of gas at the REFUEL rate of 9.29 USD per gallon. The local rate for gas is 3.25 per gallon.

I will be renting from HERTZ from here on out until I get resolution on this from AVIS, as will the rest of my corporate employees.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Did they measure that gauge level when you return the car, or afterwards? I can understand that they measure electronically - provided that I also got a car with full tank (measure electronically) - we have got a car that was indicated 'full' and then dropped to 4/3 full after driving for 15 mins or so. Mr. Nacho doesn't bother wasting his time calling Avis about this.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:48 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
What is happening here, beginning in January 2014, is that Avis has started a new program of precisely metering the fuel used in the vehicle and charging the delta on the tank,even if the fuel gauge indicates the tank is full on return.
From my understanding: this is only in cars with a "VF" sticker and in cars that have electronic fuel gauges. It's not in the cars with the old-school gauges with a needle.

In my Q70 this week, I picked it up in ATL and the needle was on the low side of full and within 5 miles of being off the lot, the needle was well below full I used the MPG/odometer calculation at the first filling and the car was 3 gallons under full when I got it! When I took it back, I returned it with the needle barely touching F. 24 hours after returning the car in ILM, I was charged >$10 for fuel. I sent images of the before/after fuel gauge (I typically always take images for times like this) to Avis customer service & they reversed the charges & apologized.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I think this came up in a similar question, but wouldn't any device they use for measuring the gas level have to be inspected by the locality's wights and measures department if they use it for billing purposes?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:15 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by jalves
I think this came up in a similar question, but wouldn't any device they use for measuring the gas level have to be inspected by the locality's wights and measures department if they use it for billing purposes?
I would think so. Submit it to Avis CS and see what they say? I've already annoyed them a lot the past 2 months, so I'll hold out on this for now
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
This didnt start in January 2014. Its been going on for a year at least. There's a huge thread on it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...er-thread.html

Also see here:
https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/vr/tandc.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.