Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will loss of use charge me to death?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Will loss of use charge me to death?!?!?!?!

I step the gas instead of break when parking and hit the rent ford escape into a wall, but just several scratches on the bumper cover and a little bump at the front of the front hood.
The thing is my insurance can transfer to the rental car and cover all the repair fee but I have to pay the lost of use to the avis and it seems that they can claim however much they want from me as long as they keep the can in the body shop.
If there is a just evaluation institution for the repairing time?Of a limit for loss of use charge?
Thanks everybody.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:24 am

Last year I finally had a chance to experience how the "loss of use" charge works with Budget rent-a-car. Someone hit me and caused $10,000 worth of damage. Since I was the renter of the car, Budget sent me a very detailed itemized bill for the repair, which I passed on to my Insurance Agent. (State Farm) The repair bill included a "loss of use" charge of $200, $20 X 10 days, for a grand total of $10,200. I was curious how Budget came up with this figure. (which I didn't think was too bad) The Budget Claims Adjustor told me there is an "industry standard" that they have to use. (my guess is 10 days Max) Even though it was not my fault, My insurance agent said they would have paid the whole $10,200 if it had been. The "loss of use" charge is usually lumped in with the repair bill. Hope this helps
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

When I had a car issue a year ago (~$1200 in damage due to dents/scratches & missing antenna), I was hit with 2 days of "loss of use". As soon as I returned the car, I tried to make a booking each day for the class of vehicle I'd previously reserved. I took a screen-shot of the availability page showing they actually were still renting cars.

When I got the bill for the accident, I sent it to AmEx, but they refuse to pay the loss of use. I called Avis and informed them I had all the screen-shots showing that they were not sold out for my originally reserved class, and would be happy to provide them to prove that vehicle wasn't causing them lost revenue while it was in the shop. The agent said they would note the record and get back to me. I never heard from them again on the issue.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

You way to get rid of loss of use is awesome! I will do it from tonight!
Thank you.
Hope it works.
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
When I had a car issue a year ago (~$1200 in damage due to dents/scratches & missing antenna), I was hit with 2 days of "loss of use". As soon as I returned the car, I tried to make a booking each day for the class of vehicle I'd previously reserved. I took a screen-shot of the availability page showing they actually were still renting cars.

When I got the bill for the accident, I sent it to AmEx, but they refuse to pay the loss of use. I called Avis and informed them I had all the screen-shots showing that they were not sold out for my originally reserved class, and would be happy to provide them to prove that vehicle wasn't causing them lost revenue while it was in the shop. The agent said they would note the record and get back to me. I never heard from them again on the issue.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

I hope the avis will do the same thing, and my insurance will pay it as well. your experience was very good for you.
Originally Posted by redcigar
Last year I finally had a chance to experience how the "loss of use" charge works with Budget rent-a-car. Someone hit me and caused $10,000 worth of damage. Since I was the renter of the car, Budget sent me a very detailed itemized bill for the repair, which I passed on to my Insurance Agent. (State Farm) The repair bill included a "loss of use" charge of $200, $20 X 10 days, for a grand total of $10,200. I was curious how Budget came up with this figure. (which I didn't think was too bad) The Budget Claims Adjustor told me there is an "industry standard" that they have to use. (my guess is 10 days Max) Even though it was not my fault, My insurance agent said they would have paid the whole $10,200 if it had been. The "loss of use" charge is usually lumped in with the repair bill. Hope this helps
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not Avis, but I had a Hertz car hit overnight in a car park a year or two back.

Hertz included about $150 in the bill for loss of use, and ~$50 for something else equally a vague.

I sent the entire bill onto my insurance company, who contacted Hertz and negotiate the removal of both of these fees, reducing the total bill by a bit over $200.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

thank you sharing your experience, and avis haven't contact me yet which is already been about 20 days.
Originally Posted by docbert
Not Avis, but I had a Hertz car hit overnight in a car park a year or two back.

Hertz included about $150 in the bill for loss of use, and ~$50 for something else equally a vague.

I sent the entire bill onto my insurance company, who contacted Hertz and negotiate the removal of both of these fees, reducing the total bill by a bit over $200.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA, USAir, Thai
Sorry, but I have to tell this story. I had an accident in Phuket, Thailand with a rental car. My fault. Was hit by a cement truck. Car not drivable, but no one hurt. Within 10 minutes the police, rental car insurance agent, cement truck insurance agent, ambulance, and mortician were at the scene. My Thai wife told me to go sit down and be quiet. I obeyed. The policeman determined that I was at fault, the ambulance and mortician left, and the insurance agents did their paperwork. Within an hour we were on our way with another new rental car. No one even asked to see my driver's license. When I returned the second car a few days later, I was charged an additional $250 for the accident. I was amazed at the efficiency and low cost!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Karl2020
Sorry, but I have to tell this story. I had an accident in Phuket, Thailand with a rental car. My fault. Was hit by a cement truck. Car not drivable, but no one hurt. Within 10 minutes the police, rental car insurance agent, cement truck insurance agent, ambulance, and mortician were at the scene. My Thai wife told me to go sit down and be quiet. I obeyed. The policeman determined that I was at fault, the ambulance and mortician left, and the insurance agents did their paperwork. Within an hour we were on our way with another new rental car. No one even asked to see my driver's license. When I returned the second car a few days later, I was charged an additional $250 for the accident. I was amazed at the efficiency and low cost!
Possibly your wise Thai wife fixed this for you.

Hmmn. As a foreigner in Thailand any car accident is found to be your fault (even if accident caused by other Thai driver) as under Thai laws, accident would not have happened if you the foreigner were not in Thailand driving said car.

I think some gulf oil states have similar 'it is foreigner at fault' rules, and some local car owners will look for hire cars leaving airport and shunt you to get free repairs on their own cars.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:11 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:31 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler

IAH traveler, again, ^

Another experienced renter of international franchise cars showing the way... I'll add that to the toolkit.

OP I was rear-ended in a rental out of LAS last year, slow speed impact luckily, and only bumper damage to the rental. One day loss-of-use charged at 24 USD. Alamo handled it reasonably well at return, also, explaining the procedure and sending the itemized bill to me and the insurance company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.