Wiki Posts
Search

Best car class for ski rental

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold

I'm skiing in Whistler in late Feb and will be booking a car at YVR to drive up to the mountain. I'll have one 180cm ski bag, plus two suitcases and there will be three of us in the car. As YVR doesn't have select and go, I am trying to decide what car class to book to fit all of my stuff and passengers.

Do most people go for the SUVs or will a full size do? I'm Avis First, but don't seem to reliably get upgrades so don't want to rely on that.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select

3 people plus bags, with possibility of snow always steers me towards SUV (standard SUV) on ski trips. If you can confirm a Subaru outback that too is a good option but unlikely that's possible.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:56 pm

Standard SUV should be a safe choice.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Not YVR, but here in SLC I went skiing with a Prius once. It was just me and with back seats down everything fit fine. However driving through the mountains, buses were even passing me

-J.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:56 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Avis rents ski racks. I'd call ahead though to make sure that your location rents them
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Are you dropping off at Avis Whistler? I've found the choice of cars to be automatically limited by Avis when choosing the one-way option.

Just came up to Whistler the other day with an "intermediate". It would have been a bit tight for 3, but if the third is a child, no problem folding down one of the back seats for the skis to fit in and there was more than enough room in the hatch for 2 suitcases.

But as always, when in doubt, get the bigger car/SUV.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:55 pm

Intermediate SUV for 3 people or under & standard SUV for 4-5 people.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice, I think I'll go for the intermediate SUV and upgrade on the day if it's too small. It's a return rental so no problems with limited choice for one-ways.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:49 pm

Are all intermediate SUV and Standard SUV's with Avis AWD/4WD?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dba4life
Are all intermediate SUV and Standard SUV's with Avis AWD/4WD?
I believe most of them are 2WD, however the road to Whistler is pretty good.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
No SUV's at DEN for ski trip

I got as big as I could get which was the premium car? Starting tomorrow. Does anyone have advice that could steer me to another vehicle that may have the seat that I could put down to the trunk. I don't have any idea which cars would have that.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 3galsontour
I got as big as I could get which was the premium car? Starting tomorrow. Does anyone have advice that could steer me to another vehicle that may have the seat that I could put down to the trunk. I don't have any idea which cars would have that.
Premium i would assume the 300 has fold down, but i am not sure. However that is probably the biggest car in that class, since there are no more crown vics. I would attempt to get a SUV, IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:09 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Some of the old-style impalas I have rented didn't have a fold-down rear seat. Probably the only way to know for sure is to check upon arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.