Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Sneaky change of contract, Ignored by customer services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

I have sent the following email to customer services ([email protected]) twice now (13/03 and 28/03) and had absolutely no response back.

Dear Sirs,

With reference to the above booking I attach the invoice which I downloaded from your website which seems to contain a refuelling charge of 75.65 euros plus 12.86 euros VAT.

I would like to point out that my booking confirmation states the following as you can see below:

"FUEL OPTIONS
Consider our Fuel Up Front option.
Buy a tank of fuel at the start of your rental, saving the hassle of finding a petrol station when you return. Fuel is charged at or below local petrol station prices and if you end up returning your car full, we will refund the cost of the fuel you have purchased up front."

I did in fact return the car to you completely full and I have an invoice from the petrol station next the airport where I made sure the car was fully topped up moments before returning it which I can scan and send to you if required.

I would greatly appreciate a refund of 88.51 euros added back to my credit card ASAP in order to rectify this mistake.

Thankyou for your understanding.

Best Regards

PanGalactic
I have since noticed that on the "damage report" document that was shoved in my face to sign in the car park, it says in the box where you sign "Fuel is paid in advance, no refunds will be made for fuel left in the vehicle".

I feel this was a very sneaky way to change the terms of the agreement as I was not given an opportunity to read and understand the document as I believed it was just a report on existing damage on the vehicle as opposed to a change of terms.

Nevertheless I hate being ignored, If they are going to stand by this disgusting policy of changing the terms on me in the car park, they should at least come back to me and tell me so.

Annoyed
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
furthur explanation please

I believe you are in the U.K. Did you rent in the U.K?
I do disagree with your statement "I was not given an opportunity to read and understand the document as I believed it was just a report on existing damage on the vehicle as opposed to a change of terms".
Unless someone held a pistol to your head or otherwise threatened you it is probably that you were in a hurry or distracted AND DID NOT TAKE THE TIME to read what you are signing.
This is hardly their fault (they probably realize people do not read these things though). What you believe is not valid in a written instrument.

"FUEL OPTIONS
Consider our Fuel Up Front option"

Did you purchase the upfront fuel option? If not why is it in your letter to them?

That said I wish you luck.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by darben
I believe you are in the U.K. Did you rent in the U.K?
I do disagree with your statement "I was not given an opportunity to read and understand the document as I believed it was just a report on existing damage on the vehicle as opposed to a change of terms".
Unless someone held a pistol to your head or otherwise threatened you it is probably that you were in a hurry or distracted AND DID NOT TAKE THE TIME to read what you are signing.
This is hardly their fault (they probably realize people do not read these things though). What you believe is not valid in a written instrument.

"FUEL OPTIONS
Consider our Fuel Up Front option"

Did you purchase the upfront fuel option? If not why is it in your letter to them?

That said I wish you luck.
I am in the UK but I rented in Cyprus,

True, noone held a gun to my head but after a long flight, yes I was in a hurry, but the fact remains I have been charged for a full tank of fuel and I would not have taken the car back full up if I knew this.

I never got an "option" to purchase the fuel upfront. The car was full when they gave it to me so can only I assume they selected that option on my behalf.

If I had taken it back empty do you think it would be right of them to charge me for 2 tanks?

I only want what is reasonable here, ignoring me is doing them no favours.

I have resent the email again with the title "3rd and final attempt to contact you before I speak to my credit card company".

I sincerely hope they respond and do the right thing here otherwise I will be speaking to Amex about it.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
I have to agree with darben here. You're lack of sleep, lack of time, or lack of caring has nothing to do with the situation.

You signed a document; it had terms. Now, you decide, after signing said document, that you disagree with the terms.

What is "reasonable"? Well, a reasonable person would read whats put in front of them before signing it.

In any case - instead of rattling off an email to generic customer service, did you simply try to address the situation with the local agent when you returned the car? They print off a receipt at the time of return. It would have been much simpler to address the issue right then and there.

If you made no attempt to correct the invoice at time of return, then I'm sorry, but I have no pity.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I have to agree with darben here. You're lack of sleep, lack of time, or lack of caring has nothing to do with the situation.

You signed a document; it had terms. Now, you decide, after signing said document, that you disagree with the terms.

What is "reasonable"? Well, a reasonable person would read whats put in front of them before signing it.

In any case - instead of rattling off an email to generic customer service, did you simply try to address the situation with the local agent when you returned the car? They print off a receipt at the time of return. It would have been much simpler to address the issue right then and there.

If you made no attempt to correct the invoice at time of return, then I'm sorry, but I have no pity.
+1 - Always amazed at the # of people who post a rant regarding a travel experience of one kind or another which they didn't even attempt to address on the spot. 99% of these things get resolved then and there.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Always amazed at the # of people who post a rant regarding a travel experience of one kind or another which they didn't even attempt to address on the spot. 99% of these things get resolved then and there.
Originally Posted by bkafrick

No opportunity was given to do that, they swiped my card at the beginning and that was that, I didn't see a bill until a few days after I got back home and had to retrieve it from the website.

So let me get this straight, you think Avis are right to ignore me now and you think I should just leave them alone and stop pestering them?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:28 pm

The first thing to figure is whether the location is corporate owned of franchise.
Corporate owned you stand a chance via your email. Franchise very little chance with your email.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The first thing to figure is whether the location is corporate owned of franchise.
Corporate owned you stand a chance via your email. Franchise very little chance with your email.
Thanks!

Any idea how I would go about finding out that info please?

Why would that make a difference anyway?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:32 pm

To a franchisee Avis can probably only suggest a resolution. To a corporate location then can order.

I do not know if they are a franchise location. did find an address for Cyprus Avis though ( Now I DO "AVIS Rent a Car Cyprus has been the official AVIS licensee in Cyprus for more the 40 years")

http://www.avis.com.cy/contact_us.html

email [email protected]
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
No opportunity was given to do that, they swiped my card at the beginning and that was that, I didn't see a bill until a few days after I got back home and had to retrieve it from the website.

So let me get this straight, you think Avis are right to ignore me now and you think I should just leave them alone and stop pestering them?
Both on the way out, where you state:

"True, noone held a gun to my head but after a long flight, yes I was in a hurry, but the fact remains I have been charged for a full tank of fuel and I would not have taken the car back full up if I knew this."

And on the way in where you state:

"No opportunity was given to do that, they swiped my card at the beginning and that was that, I didn't see a bill until a few days after I got back home and had to retrieve it from the website."

You simply let Avis (or its franchisee) tell you how to behave. You've learned a hard lesson. For the future:

1. Take the time to read things people ask you to sign or understand that there's a reason they are hurrying you along.

2. No receipt, no car keys.

They saw you as a foreigner they could sucker and they did.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
They saw you as a foreigner they could sucker and they did.
Yep, exactly, they bent me over and did me dry, no vaseline!

I didn't even get a kiss!

Funny thing is I'm actually from Cyprus, so not really a foreigner.

I'll forward the email to the .cy address and if they still choose to ignore me I will dispute the payment and get it refunded then let them do the chasing.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:42 pm

I'll forward the email to the .cy address and if they still choose to ignore me I will dispute the payment and get it refunded then let them do the chasing.

Disputing may work but if you agreed to the charge it probably will not work.
What would be your reason for disputing the charge?
In the states there are very specific reasons you can dispute a charge.
Not liking the deal AFTER you agreed to it is not one of the reasons
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Disputing may work but if you agreed to the charge it probably will not work.
What would be your reason for disputing the charge?
In the states there are very specific reasons you can dispute a charge.
Not liking the deal AFTER you agreed to it is not one of the reasons
Hopefully they will just respond to my email and be reasonable about this and it wont get to that point, but if it does I'll go on the basis of what it said on the original confirmation email. After all I called the UK number, spoke to the UK office and booked this via them. What do I care if they are a franchise or not?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:54 pm

Hopefully they will just respond to my email and be reasonable about this and it wont get to that point, but if it does I'll go on the basis of what it said on the original confirmation email. After all I called the UK number, spoke to the UK office and booked this via them. What do I care if they are a franchise or not?
hopefully it will be resolved easily
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

hopefully it will be resolved easily
I really hope so as the service I received from them otherwise was excellent and I do plan to use them again.

I took their top of the range of the standard vehicles (large 4 x 4) and was upgraded to a prestige vehicle (mercedes).

Such a shame this has happened, I would be recommending them to everyone I know right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.