Search

Watch out for Avis at TLS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Watch out for Avis at TLS

Rented a car there for 6 days. When I was at the rental counter I was given a contract stating a full tank car. I got to the parking lot to pick up the car the car was full of marks and dents and something in the trunk pop out that you could see cables and wires.......contacted staffs several times, then when I started the engine it only got half a tank full of fuel. So I got a staff to correct the problem.

Then I returned the car there was no staff checking car so I had to leave without a receipt. Now I have been billed 11,13 Euros for then filling up 4 liters of fuel which I had tanked to more than half just before getting into TLS.

There was another guy doing the same thing pointing and complaning about his car when I returned the car.

Any idea if I even get any chance of getting the fuel charged refunded? I had most of the receipts but I didn't get one when I was tanking in Andorra.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Why would you leave the car without a receipt? Even if there's no staff checking in the car, go to the rental counter and ask for one.

As for proving that you filled up the gas tank, you're going to need the receipt from your last fill up. If you dont have it, like you said, you're out the 11,13 Euros. You can't prove something without proof.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by nacho
then when I started the engine it only got half a tank full of fuel. So I got a staff to correct the problem.
How did the staff fix the problem initially - did they fill the tank, or not on your contract that the tank was only half full? How full did they say the tank was when you returned the car - 4 liters below full or 4 liters below half full?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I actually have the receipt for the last tank and I even tanked twice to make sure that it was way above the half. I have almost all the receipts from tanking except one with cash payment in Andorra, but how can you prove this against Avis? They can always say that you haven't tanked enough.

I went into the office when I return the car and the staff just collect the rental contract and said everything is fine. This is my first Avis European rental and it's so difference than the US locations. Now I have learned the lesson and will always get a receipt before leaving a rental location. If I had called a staff and perhaps waited then I don't think I'll get into this mess.

When I found out the tank was only half full he marked the contract and changed something at his computer but if you look at the contract it was basically a big line marking from half to 60% full. Good that I got copy of the contract so I might be able to argue with my case. Thanks for the help, and will post again when I get the results from Avis.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got a reply from Avis Sweden (where I live) today. Here is a quote of the reply,

'Hello,

France gave us information according to below:

"Please be informed that 24.80L of gasoline was put in the tank, but the customer was charged *only* by 11.13 €. We are maintaining the gas charges."

Best regards,

Oda Haugerud
customer service

Avis Scandinavian Commercial Services Center
Odinsgatan 9
411 03 Göteborg'

This is ridiculous - why on earth would Avis only charge me 0.5 euro cent per litre of fuel? Also the reply was simple and very straightforward, basically they tell you that it's in your favour that they charged you 'only 11.38 euros' and you should shut your mouth up and pay.

I only got half a tank fuel when I picked up the car, since the car I got was an Opel Astra Break 1.6 which I checked the tank size is 52 litre, I actually gave 2 litres free fuel to Avis.

It's amazing how a customer service agent wrote a reply like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.