Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Have you been able to call Avis and request a different make car in the same class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you been able to call Avis and request a different make car in the same class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:21 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have rented a mini-van for a week. Avis uses Chevy Uplanders as their primary mini-van...but I understand that they have other mini-vans in the fleet ( ie Dodge). I went to a Chevy dealer and i hated what I saw in the Uplander.....Have you ever had any luck calling the rental center you are renting from a day or two before pick-up and requesting a different manufacturer car in the same class?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Yes, But Don't Count on It

They will note it on the reservation notes, but, at the renting station, somebody has to see it, the location has to have an alternative available, and an individual has to have time and care enough to fill the request. As opposed to a busy person filling reservations as fast as they can that never notices or there just isn't an alternative available.

You can always ask again at the desk, but don't consider your day ruined if it does not work. Kind of like last month I was assuming an Impala and measured the trunk to make sure a bicycle I had to drop off fit, only to be told since I was renting one-way it was a poorly-cleaned Hyundai that needed to go back to its base or nothing. The joke was on them because it was a bit less clean after I stuffed the bicyke in the back seat since it sould not go in the trunk, and it just happened it was my turn to get the e-mail customer satisfaction survey.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: MR Gold, Hilton Gold, US Silver, WN No Luv
I had a note added to my Wizard/Preferred profile: "Never, ever a Chevy Malibu". Either I'm really really lucky or the staff on the preferred side are really good because I haven't had a Malibu since the note was added. Always get a Pontiac or Olds instead!
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
FYI, there are Toyota Siennas out there.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:10 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by DTNF130L
I had a note added to my Wizard/Preferred profile: "Never, ever a Chevy Malibu". Either I'm really really lucky or the staff on the preferred side are really good because I haven't had a Malibu since the note was added. Always get a Pontiac or Olds instead!

I wonder if I could have them add a "don't upgrade me" notes to my Preferred record.

The last time I was in Denver they auto upgraded me from a subcompact to a Chevy Suburban. Being a single guy with no kids, I am used to small fuel efficeint cars... I was too scared to drive that Tank out of the parking space; it was _that_ big!

I marched right back into the Preferred Office and told them to find me something like what I requested. So, they swapped me out with some other poor schlep (who then, presumably, got the Tank).
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by HappyCoachFlyer
I wonder if I could have them add a "don't upgrade me" notes to my Preferred record.
Likely, yes. Or, you could just say something like "Upgrade max 1 class" or "No SUV"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.