Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Renting for 2 weeks but need each week billed Separately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

So I'm renting from IAH since I have to be in Dallas for 2 weeks and coming home inbetween the weekends(Houston). Usually on multi week trips I'd make 2 separate week reservations and go back to the airport to drop off and pick up another car so I can get billed for the previous week and start a new tab for the following week for expense purposes while also getting a different car to play with. This time around though I actually like the car I'm driving even though it's not luxury or a fun car (it's a Nissan Murano).

I know it's best to call but since I'm already on the forums figured I'd ask if anyone had expierence but Can I make a 2 week reservation and call inbetween to have them bill me separate? Or make 2 one week reservation and instead of having to bring the car in I'd just phone in and tell them to close out the previous week and transfer it to the new week without having to bring the car in?

I wouldn't mind returning the car to get another murano with less miles (current one at 30k and was suppose to get a oil change at 15k miles lol) but I figured I didn't want to risk having to return the car to only get a car I didn't want since I've tried getting a murano for a year now with it always being unavailable.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:10 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

OK, so a few different questions here:

Can I make a 2 week reservation and call in between to have them bill me separately?
No you cannot.

Or make 2 one week reservation and instead of having to bring the car in I'd just phone in and tell them to close out the previous week and transfer it to the new week without having to bring the car in?
Again, no.

I wouldn't mind returning the car to get another murano with less miles (current one at 30k and was suppose to get a oil change at 15k miles lol) but I figured I didn't want to risk having to return the car to only get a car I didn't want since I've tried getting a murano for a year now with it always being unavailable.
While I think hoping for another Murano with less mileage is a bit too much to ask for, I think you have a very good chance of bringing back the rental for week 1 and just asking them to close out the contract for that and then re-assigning you the same vehicle. If they're really feeling generous, they might even agree to send it through the wash if you want to wait for a bit, but that may be pushing it a bit.

Note that this cannot be done over the phone. You must physically return to the renting location to close out the rental for week 1 and check out the rental for week 2.

Also note that you need to make sure you return the car after week 1 with a full tank of gas even if you expect to leave with the same vehicle. They need to record the actual mileage and fuel level when they close out the first contract, so if you return with less than a full tank you will be charged (unless of course you prepaid for fuel).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
OK, so a few different questions here:

No you cannot.

Again, no.

While I think hoping for another Murano with less mileage is a bit too much to ask for, I think you have a very good chance of bringing back the rental for week 1 and just asking them to close out the contract for that and then re-assigning you the same vehicle. If they're really feeling generous, they might even agree to send it through the wash if you want to wait for a bit, but that may be pushing it a bit.

Note that this cannot be done over the phone. You must physically return to the renting location to close out the rental for week 1 and check out the rental for week 2.

Also note that you need to make sure you return the car after week 1 with a full tank of gas even if you expect to leave with the same vehicle. They need to record the actual mileage and fuel level when they close out the first contract, so if you return with less than a full tank you will be charged (unless of course you prepaid for fuel).
Thanks that's what I figured since I've been physically bringing in the cars in the past.

I'll make a separate reservation for week 2 and call the IAH Avis on the way to return to see if another Murano is available in case the return line is hectic if not I'll just tell the people who checks in the cars returning that im picking up another rental and want to keep this same car. Renting the same car is easy to do at a smaller not as busy airport.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:18 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You can also just tell the rep on the return line that you have another reservation picking up now and to keep the vehicle close by as you plan to ask the rep inside if you can transfer it to the new reservation. In all likelihood that will work out.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

]
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You can also just tell the rep on the return line that you have another reservation picking up now and to keep the vehicle close by as you plan to ask the rep inside if you can transfer it to the new reservation. In all likelihood that will work out.
Ah that's a good idea. I'll be able to see what cars I can request from the available selection at the preferred counter and have my previous rental waiting for me if nothing I want is available. I plan on returning it on a Saturday so hoping that the fact it's a Saturday works out for me.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Presuming you're not saying near IAH, the other option is to price two one-way, one-week rentals - one from the airport to an Avis near where you are staying, and another from there to IAH. This may work out being (much) more expensive, or it might worth out being cheaper.

The advantage of returning and re-renting from a local Avis is that it's generally easier - you will definitely be able to keep the same car, and you won't need to worry about putting gas in it before 'returning' it (they'll just mark is as full for both the return and the pickup, regardless of the real level).

The disadvantage (other than the potential price difference) is that if you do want to try and change cars you're likely not going to have a good range to pick from...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
Presuming you're not saying near IAH, the other option is to price two one-way, one-week rentals - one from the airport to an Avis near where you are staying, and another from there to IAH. This may work out being (much) more expensive, or it might worth out being cheaper.

The advantage of returning and re-renting from a local Avis is that it's generally easier - you will definitely be able to keep the same car, and you won't need to worry about putting gas in it before 'returning' it (they'll just mark is as full for both the return and the pickup, regardless of the real level).

The disadvantage (other than the potential price difference) is that if you do want to try and change cars you're likely not going to have a good range to pick from...
I'll prob drop the first week rental at IAH and make the 2nd week rental one way from Ian to my closest Avis assuming there isn't ridiculous fee associated. Would they be less inclined to give me a upgrade since it's one way even though im Preferred plus?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:13 pm

Our rule is that one way rentals get higher milage vehicles. When you take a car from one location to another, the receiving location now owns the vehicle. We like to rid our lots of higher milage vehicles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.