Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Preferred Point Rental Taxes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Avis Preferred Point Rental Taxes

Well, I had my first rental using Avis Preferred points. As the reservation calculations showed, one is charged all the percent based taxes. (I was hoping the taxes would be calculated differently.)

So, before, with weekend coupons, we did not pay for any of the % based taxes - just the per-day/per-rental charges. Now, we pay all the % based taxes on some amount that we don't even see when we reserve the car.

At some places like ORD, the taxes can be in the 20% range. In ALB, there is no per rental or per day charge - only % taxes. So, this is a huge devaluation - no matter how many points you have.

I wonder if they are really submitting these taxes to the states....
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:25 pm

Percent based should be charged on fixed charges not covered by any discount/coupon. The system is just providing an estimate before the coupon is applied; if most of taxes are percentage based, I'd anticipate a low to no charge.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
Percent based should be charged on fixed charges not covered by any discount/coupon. The system is just providing an estimate before the coupon is applied; if most of taxes are percentage based, I'd anticipate a low to no charge.
Unfortunately, it did not work like this based on my actual experience. The final receipt matched exactly what the reservation said. All the % based taxes were there.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:01 pm

That sounds like a customer service question as it shouldn't be that way (unless its a location issue where coupons are not deducted before tax application).

Fixed rate is always fixed and taxes on fixed rate are always still applicable as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.