Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Avis Downgrade

Somehow I ended up with a Premium SUV (Suburban) rental for a week. Cost was $260. That was even cheaper then a compact car at Avis in BWI. I do not really want a Premium SUV, I prefer something the size of a Equinox or Edge. I am a Preferred Plus member. Will there be any issues with me downgrading when I pick it up? I know the premium is a much higher class but the cost was $150 less.

Funny thing is I check today not even 24 hours and the rental cost is now $1,315 for the same time for the Premium SUV. Assuming it was just a limited time price glitch.

I appreciate anyone experiences with the same type of situation.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Technically, they don't have to let you downgrade. In practice, I would be very surprised if they didn't agree to move you into something smaller.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Technically, they don't have to let you downgrade. In practice, I would be very surprised if they didn't agree to move you into something smaller.
Thanks for the money savings I will give it a shot. If I need to keep the tank I can. Just hate driving something that big for 3 people.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:33 pm

in the fwiw category...

Originally Posted by nicemann
Will there be any issues with me downgrading when I pick it up? I appreciate anyone experiences with the same type of situation.
I have never had an issue in downgrading with any car rental company, even though the rate quoted in my reservation was lower for a larger size car. I should add, I don't make a big issue of it. If you are goin' arrive and then tell the folks all the gritty details of your request, then sure, you may be asking for trouble. Just say, ok if I take a smaller car, and invariably you "get the nod". If you make a big deal of it, they will also! My experience.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix
I have never had an issue in downgrading with any car rental company, even though the rate quoted in my reservation was lower for a larger size car. I should add, I don't make a big issue of it. If you are goin' arrive and then tell the folks all the gritty details of your request, then sure, you may be asking for trouble. Just say, ok if I take a smaller car, and invariably you "get the nod". If you make a big deal of it, they will also! My experience.
Thanks again for your experience. Yeah wasn't planning on making a big deal about it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Never been an issue. Just approach with something along the lines of "I actually no longer need something that big. Can I just get the X in Space Y?"
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Never been an issue. Just approach with something along the lines of "I actually no longer need something that big. Can I just get the X in Space Y?"
Exactly. All else being equal, they'd rather put you in a smaller SUV, and then charge someone else for upgrading to the bigger one. Just remember, as IAHtraveler noted, that your needs changed. No reason to mention that you booked the tank because it was cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.