Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

New Points System - Have complimentary upgrades been impacted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Plat (LT Silver); Hyatt Globalist; Avis Pres Club

I like Crossovers and SUVs because of the seating position (bad back) and I typically book a full size and get upgraded (Pres Club) to Grand Cherokees, Ford Explorers, Edges, Cadillac SRXs, or I'll pick up a Ford Escape from the Select n Go. This past week was the first time I had a pick up at DCA after the new points system kicked in and seeing the whole select n go area empty I went to the prefferred desk and asked if lady there could put me into an SUV. She tells me I was already given a 2 class upgrade to a Ford Taurus and that an SUV would be an upcharge.

"We are not allowed to just give away SUVs after the new system, people would get BMWs and Mercs for $40 a day and that has got to stop, you need to now pay or use points if you want an SUV" I am paraphrasing some but that was what I was told, she wasn't rude but wasn't very helpful either. Having been through the ringer with a long slow day thanks delays ala United I was in no mood to escalate or push harder by requesting a manager. I rolled up a tshirt around the lumbar area of the seat and just took the Taurus. Which might I add was surprising nice inside and to drive.

First world problem, sure. So question - Are PCs noticing any changes with complimentary upgrades after the new points system?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
I was offered an Escape just today. About a month ago FLL forced one on me. Both were full size reservations. They seem to treat Intermediate SUV and full size as basically interchangeable.

I'm only Preferred Plus (double plus as of yesterday), FWIW.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
I've had 6 rentals since the points system went in (all at BOS). Selection and upgrades seems about the same as before.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I replied to this yesterday, but my comments obviously didn't take..

When I was in ORD a few weeks ago, the agent was very firm that CHM now cannot get anything above Luxury. He said this was a directive from management due to the new points system and CHM booking small cars and expecting specialty. I figured it was a one-off regarding the points system, but possibly it's not. I haven't heard this anywhere else yet..
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I replied to this yesterday, but my comments obviously didn't take..

When I was in ORD a few weeks ago, the agent was very firm that CHM now cannot get anything above Luxury. He said this was a directive from management due to the new points system and CHM booking small cars and expecting specialty. I figured it was a one-off regarding the points system, but possibly it's not. I haven't heard this anywhere else yet..
Wow...so even CHMs are getting the spiel. BTW - what type of cars are above luxury?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:59 am

Lux is listed as the MKS, so anything "above" that, including all specialty & signature series (all BMW, XTS, pickups, hybrids, even the pathetic [when compared to most higher end rental cars] Mustang coupe)!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Delta GM, Avis P+
I had a rental out of EWR 2 weeks ago, rented a Full Size, got a mustang. Doesn't seem to have been impacted for me.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am only Preferred Plus and have not noticed any changes either for upgrades - it was random before and it is random now.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I haven't seen any chances as a Preferred Plus however, I've always had terrible luck with cars in the DC Area (DCA,IAD,BWI) and they seem to always have nothing in the Select N Go or Upgrade area.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
My upgrades as Presidents Club have continued as usual. Nothing different has happened. Typically rent INT and get FULL/LUX/PREM every time.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by DC_infrequentflyer
"We are not allowed to just give away SUVs after the new system, people would get BMWs and Mercs for $40 a day and that has got to stop, you need to now pay or use points if you want an SUV"
What would be the rationale for why the "new point system" would affect anything? Is there some sort of increased earning based on the class of car you get, regardless of what you reserved?

And how would this lead to one getting BMWs and Mercs for $40/day?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

thats a great question!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by whimike
What would be the rationale for why the "new point system" would affect anything?
IME, ORD is stingy on Chairman upgrades compared to other stations (rarely ever getting a BMW, denied Infinitis, etc). I think it's just another "tool" the stations have to deny upgrades "because they can."
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:28 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Earlier this year, I called the PC line to ask for a notation on my reservation (full-size) requesting an upgrade to an SUV if possible. The nice lady at the PC line very apologetically informed me that they're not allowed to notate the record with a request for an SUV any more.

Which struck as weird and oddly specific.

I wonder if there's a more general directive out along the lines of "You want an SUV, book an SUV." I.e., they're seeing demand for SUVs, and are willing to give out a free upgrade to Premium or Luxury, but not to SUVs.

And, like everybody else, my mileage has varied -- lots of stations just don't really pay attention to these directives (in both positive and negative ways). YYZ will give out BMWs at the drop of a hat, while STL refuses to upgrade anybody past Premium.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by QBK
Earlier this year, I called the PC line to ask for a notation on my reservation (full-size) requesting an upgrade to an SUV if possible. The nice lady at the PC line very apologetically informed me that they're not allowed to notate the record with a request for an SUV any more.

Which struck as weird and oddly specific.

I wonder if there's a more general directive out along the lines of "You want an SUV, book an SUV." I.e., they're seeing demand for SUVs, and are willing to give out a free upgrade to Premium or Luxury, but not to SUVs.
Hang up & call again? I called yesterday and they had no issue requesting a large SUV. Then again, it was the CHM line. Historically, though, I'm told "I can request it but it's not guaranteed." I haven't gotten that line recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.