Wiki Posts
Search

Known issue with rates resetting when modifying res

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Known issue with rates resetting when modifying res

I had an existing reservation and was glad I did, because the rates have been rising since. Today I went to modify my reservation with my flight number and the the rate changed even though it stated the existing rate and what the rate would be if I accepted the change...the same. Upon hitting accept it changed the rate up another $53. I called Avis to complain and customer service said it was a known issue where it changes to the rate on the day of the change and that I could take my printed confirmation with the original rate and it would be honored. I asked if the location would not honor it would I be able to get it resolved by calling Avis Customer Service again and he said yes that they would push it through if need be. Sounds acceptable, but thought I'd post in case anyone else has this happen.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Motel 6, LLO Titanium
I went to change my 10 day res by adding 1 hour to the front ----and not changing the overall 24 hour period/per day time and total length---my price went up $ 450.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How far out is your reservation? If more than a few days, especially if more than two weeks, keep checking. I find that much of the time, sometime between two weeks out and a couple days out, the rate suddenly drops (after usually rising all the time before that), and then I modify my reservation to lock in the new lowest-ever rate. I think that's worked at least 80% of the time on my recent Avis rentals, though of course YMMV. So I suggest checking (via a Modify Reservation) whether it's gone down or not at least every few days starting at two weeks out.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How far out is your reservation? If more than a few days, especially if more than two weeks, keep checking. I find that much of the time, sometime between two weeks out and a couple days out, the rate suddenly drops (after usually rising all the time before that), and then I modify my reservation to lock in the new lowest-ever rate. I think that's worked at least 80% of the time on my recent Avis rentals, though of course YMMV. So I suggest checking (via a Modify Reservation) whether it's gone down or not at least every few days starting at two weeks out.
This used to work for me, and even by calling the call center it went cheaper. Now the rate seems to stick pretty well no matter how much you try.

OP, I've had the same experience, and even had a nasty conversation with an AVIS rep not too long ago. I reduced my reservation by 3 hours total, and my rate went up $287. Told I'd rather pay a flight change with that fee. Ended up returning earlier without an issue. (I did bring water bottles and cookies for the return agents)
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Mosaic, I hope you have some confirmation of your original rate...an email or print out? With that you could call the 800 number and ask them to honor your rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.