Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis not giving miles for [some] corporate AWD rentals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAHtraveler
All, the start of this discussion started in another thread. I've moved them here to keep other threads on-topic.

Cheers,
IAHtraveler

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Just a quick warning that AVIS is no longer awarding miles if you have a Corporate account in your profile. This was implemented January 1st and all of my rentals for 2015 were denied miles because of the enforcement of the rule. AVIS's terms and conditions were updated to exclude miles from being earned whenever a Corporate or discounted rate was used.

Please Note: Rewards program points will be awarded on eligible rentals. Miles may not be earned on corporate rates, discounts, free, tour or certain travel industry rates or on rentals at off airport locations.
https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...navId=T5M17S00
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonesle7
Just a quick warning that AVIS is no longer awarding miles if you have a Corporate account in your profile. This was implemented January 1st and all of my rentals for 2015 were denied miles because of the enforcement of the rule. AVIS's terms and conditions were updated to exclude miles from being earned whenever a Corporate or discounted rate was used.

Wow, this is about the worst car rental news ever...so all those "anticipated miles" their website is giving are total BS and they are scamming us. Just more crap and decline in FF land.

Does anyone know if their corporate partner Budget is the same? It's the only other brand my company has a deal with... will have to try and check later if no replies but getting on a plane...

Gotta see if I can get away from Avis as much as possible then.

No wonder United has now dropped them - no miles.

FTF

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:35 am Reason: fixed quote issue
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:36 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
No wonder United has now dropped them - no miles.
Nah, United dropped them because Hertz offered a more valuable partnership than Avis would have.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonesle7

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...navId=T5M17S00
I don't this is saying that you won't earn miles if you have a Corporate "account" (whatever you mean by that) in your profile . I think it's saying that you can't earn miles any more (again?) whenever you use a corporate AWD.

I say "again?" because years ago, at least for BA miles (when I first started collecting BA miles about a dozen years ago, and for at least several years after that), you couldn't earn BA miles if you used a corporate AWD.

(I know BA now uses Avios points, but back then it used miles.)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Nah, United dropped them because Hertz offered a more valuable partnership than Avis would have.
Yes, I suppose - but not sure that it doesn't come down to the same thing. If Avis will no longer give miles to anyone using a corporate AWD, they're going to be buying a lot fewer miles - much less value for the airline.

The airlines no doubt knew about this long before we did - explains why Delta and United are both promoting Hertz now.

FTF
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't this is saying that you won't earn miles if you have a Corporate "account" (whatever you mean by that) in your profile . I think it's saying that you can't earn miles any more (again?) whenever you use a corporate AWD.
Sorry sdsearch I know you are trying to be precise, but although those aren't my words I don't see any meaningful difference in those terms.

Corporations (like mine) have contracts or accounts with Avis. Our travel department even has a rep - who calls their account person at Avis on rare occasions relating to financial stuff or damage. (They don't get involved in miles.) That's shown by the AWD. But there's an underlying contract (or as we say in my business in the opposite direction, an account); the AWD doesn't come from nowhere.

So for me:

Account = contract = AWD.

Anyway, back to the news at hand, suddenly all those terms are bad.

FTF

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm Reason: clarity [IAHtraveler fixed quote HTML]
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Sorry sdsearch I know you are trying to be precise, but although those aren't my words I don't see any meaningful difference in those terms.

Corporations (like mine) have contracts or accounts with Avis. Our travel department even has a rep - who calls their account person at Avis on rare occasions relating to financial stuff or damage. (They don't get involved in miles.) That's shown by the AWD. But there's an underlying contract (or as we say in my business in the opposite direction, an account); the AWD doesn't come from nowhere.

So for me:

Account = contract = AWD.
The thing is, at Avis, the term "account" refers to your Wizard account (ie, your login account at Avis.com). And these terms don't refer to that kind of account, but, in Avis terms, only when you use the corporate AWD. If you choose to use a non-corporate AWD as your default AWD, then you can earn miles on those rentals where you use that non-corporate AWD, but when you put in your corporate AWD, then you can't earn miles any more.

But, to make it more confusing, there's not just your AWD that's at issue; there's a whole thread here where people used to collect AWDs not given to them by the company they work at, and many of those used to give miles but now won't. So this doesn't just affect people who get their AWD from their company, it also affects some of those people who use some AWD they found somewhere or other (previously often not paying much attention to whether it was a corporate or non-corporate AWD).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Avis not giving miles for corporate AWD rentals

All, the start of this discussion started in another thread. I've moved them here to keep other threads on-topic.

Cheers,
IAHtraveler
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I can tell you that MY corporate AWD still gives miles, at least for AA.

01/05/15 AVIS 5 DY ROANOKE APO VA 250 0 250
01/05/15 AVIS BONUS MILES 0 750 750

right out of my AA account. Every year some add, some drop, some change. it costs people more money to add miles to an account (meaning the rental goes up with you select miles coupons or put in miles earning) by about 3 bucks on my AWD. I could see why that option would be removed form certain contracts if you rented a ton, or ate the cost.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:33 am

I called someone from Avis corporate on this. She told me that although the language is on all the contract and T&C, it is still a company-by-company decision. She checked for me, and my company had not discontinued paying miles. Some have, however.

Since then I've rented a few times and received the offered standard and bonus miles. Which is nice because I'm used to Avis and like the AA 3-day offer (even if it's nothing like the old days...I earned an awful lot of DL miles from Avis and Budget.

If you use a corporate AWD and haven't already experienced whether it works for you and your AWD it's probably worth calling them. Or alternatively, just doing a short rental that you can live with the miles not posting.

Good luck and as always...YMMV.

FTF
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat
No AS miles for me using my Corporate AWD in my reservation. It would be nice if AVIS's reservation form blacked out the FF mile input section or in some other way informed customers that this was the case. I only found out by calling AVIS CS when my miles didn't post.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
My old company has a code I can still use, but I generally found better rates using publicly available ones or my USAA rate. I think I actually used my company's code only once. AutoSlash beats it 99% of the time.

When I used to rent with Hertz for actual company business, I got special permission from the company to book on my own and expense (and not book through Concur) and the rates I got were sometimes 50% lower than what I would have paid otherwise. I saved us a decent amount of money that way. And I got all the points

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.