Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

US rentals w/no additional charges for open-jaw travel...which states?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US rentals w/no additional charges for open-jaw travel...which states?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Arrow US rentals w/no additional charges for open-jaw travel...which states?

Hello,

I found that in Florida, you can rent an Avis car from one airport, and return it at another, with no additional fees; my work itinerary changed from RSW and back, to starting FLL but ending at RSW. Avis had no difference in total cost after checking in.

But when the same thing happened to me a few weeks later in Texas, there were additional charges - pretty much as expected - when renting from CRP and returning it at SAT.

Are there some states or airports where this sort of single open-jaw travel does not incur any additional one-way fees? I'm starting to get more of these types of work changes, but I'd also like to save some money (while keeping airline status) by balancing better airfare charges versus rental fees. On the other hand, picking up cars from any place other than airports is a non-starter.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

In Florida, state law prevents one-way fees on rentals. Most likely to promote tourism. I don't know of any other state that has this regulation.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I've been looking at several one way rentals in Florida

No drop fee, but all include 0 miles and charge by the mile. Looked with and without Corporate AWD

Does Avis offer any rates/AWDs that include at least some mileage allotment for Florida one way rentals? Other companies seem to

If not, I guess I'll just rent from Alamo <shudder>
Old May 17, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC,Avis Preferred. Hilton Silver, Tesco Super Dooper Platinum.
As a non US resident, I found no one way fees in Florida, California and between CA and Nevada.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:19 am

If you're seeing 0 miles, it's still associating your corporate rate. US retail renters will generally see a much higher daily rate with no separate drop fee, except sometimes in FL, with the same price as roundtrip. Foreign tour rates often give specific city pairs in the Southwest with one ways the same price as roundtrip.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

As an update, Florida doesn't seem to allow this practice anymore. I managed an ECP-inbound and VPS-outbound in February with no extra costs.

But in June, MCO to FLL incurred a one-way fee. The option for Spirit Airlines on that route existed on short notice, but only at 10pm with asking others to pick me up or a taxi...no thanks. Still cheaper overall to book a one-way.

Found this, which might be helpful:
http://upgrd.com/roadmoretraveled/li...-vacation.html

Maybe it's the AWD number? We received new ones less than a year ago, but I'll have to look into that with my travel department to confirm.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Locations that are within the same "city" have no one way fee... and I use the word "city" loosely.

For example, I can rent a one-way car between ITH and SYR (60 miles apart) and there is no one-way fee. But if I rent between ROC and SYE (80 miles apart) there is. It simply depends on what they consider the local area.

I've found the same thing when I rent from JFK but return to LGA... But if I returned to EWR, its one-way.

Not sure if this answers your question, but its another data point.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:14 pm

One-way fees in Florida must be location or date specific. I've done 4-5 recent one-way rentals between Fort Lauderdale and Orlando in both directions with Avis. I've never seen an additional fee and I've never paid more than $45.

(That doesn't mean Avis is always that cheap. My travel is 100% self-financed and fairly flexible. If a favored brand is expensive, I change companies or dates.)
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I noticed in the past, I could do a one-way rental from the LA area to the Bay Area, but recently found that a drop-off fee was being charged, which made flying more reasonable.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Avis & Budget usually (not always) consider Savannah GA, Charleston SC, & Myrtle Beach SC to be one metro region, allowing rentals at local, sometimes even weekend rates without a drop charge.
Also, Avis is one-way friendly within most of Michigan + Toledo OH.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Just completed TYR and GGG with Avis with no additional rental fees. They're only ~40 miles apart, but another duo to add to the list.

FLL/MIA/PBI are also good, but EYR or RSW to the aforementioned trio do not (although FLL -> RSW worked in the past).

Noticed LGB, SNA, and BUR -> LAX also works according to Avis.com, but I haven't booked it yet.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
How about Canada? Maybe a little higher or lower than a local rate, but still very reasonable: You can pick up an Avis car in Calgary (airport or downtown) or Edmonton (YEG airport only) any day of the week & return it to Banff or Jasper for about C$67 a day all-in.

Often, esp. in summer Alamo & National will rent you a car quite cheaply in DT Vancouver (Canada Place, Cruise Terminal or Sandman Hotel) one-way to Calgary or Edmonton!

Last edited by Brendan; Mar 31, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:55 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Am doing a one way PDX to SEA. The drop off charge was about $200 for the smallest cheapest car but only about $80 for the next size up and beyond. Made checking prices very worthwhile.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Updating this list with recent finds; no additional fees:

ITH - BGM (NY)
DAL - DFW
HOU - IAH
HDN - MTJ (CO)

The last one was due to Montrose not having an available Avis agent on a Sunday, and Hayden not having a counter agent on a Friday...
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:19 am

I have a SAN-LAX rental for late June and there doesn't seem to be an explicit fee or mileage charge. I have a Costco AWD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.