Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye Avis - back to Hertz

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Goodbye Avis - back to Hertz

I travel a lot. 170 trips to date this year. AVIS last month wanted to re-price my entire car rental when I took an earlier flight and arrived an hour earlier for my car.

This month the charged me $43 for that one hour, when the daily rate was $57 - crazy. I am Avis "First" and Hertz President's Circle. Guess I'll go back to Hertz. Grrrr.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

That's common for the hourly rate to be >>50% of the daily rate. If you have the car > a full day, they will charge the hourly rate. Just like if you keep a movie past the due date, they charge you as you're keeping the item from being re-rented to anyone else.

And you're leaving for a "greener pasture" for a $43 fee you incurred over 170 trips? If that's the biggest issue you have in that many rentals (with any agency), I think you're doing well!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I've never heard of a car rental company charging extra for picking up a car one hour earlier same day (as long as it wasn't reserved as a weekend rate before they started). As many problems as Hertz currently has, that would never happen with them.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by CalItalian
I've never heard of a car rental company charging extra for picking up a car one hour earlier same day (as long as it wasn't reserved as a weekend rate before they started). As many problems as Hertz currently has, that would never happen with them.
If your reservation is 23-24 hours and you pickup an hour early, the rental then goes over 1 day. Hertz wouldn't charge extra for this? I'd find that surprising as it's too easy to just reserve later when you know your rental will be at/near a 24 hour increment.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
if you picked up the car an hour earlier and you had the car for 25 hours, you will get charged a high hourly fee everywhere, including Hertz, don't run yet to hertz, you will be running back to Avis very fast...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
These complaints are hilarious. I got charged $40 more than I wanted to pay, so I'm leaving the company for a competitor. Please.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out... The grass aint any greener out there.

p.s. if you havent figured it out by now, Avis "First" means absolutely nothing to them. Its not a loyalty program.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bkafrick
These complaints are hilarious. I got charged $40 more than I wanted to pay, so I'm leaving the company for a competitor. Please.
What's so hilarious? He got charged more on a predetermined price for arriving early? These things shouldn't be. I had the same thing happen to me in Kansas City with a different company and it wasn't pretty. After complaining to corporate for 2-weeks, I finally got credit. But it was all a big pain in the a$$.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
What's so hilarious? He got charged more on a predetermined price for arriving early? These things shouldn't be. I had the same thing happen to me in Kansas City with a different company and it wasn't pretty. After complaining to corporate for 2-weeks, I finally got credit. But it was all a big pain in the a$$.
Why shouldn't they be? If you say you will have the car for 24 hours and then come early and get the car for 25 hours, why should you get the extra hour/day free? What's to stop everyone from booking later than they expect to arrive and then short-changing the car rental agency? If you have an appointment for a massage from 1-2PM, do you show up at noon and expect them to give you a massage from 12-2PM just because you came early?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Meeeeeh, that's not the way it works. Get real.

You know very well they would just start time from pickup time and not charge for 25 hours, or whatever you are saying.

Besides I think Hertz has an hour grace period, or something like that (haven't researched this in a while).
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Hertz and evreyone else, the grace period is 29 minutes
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:25 am

Avis "First" means nothing. Marketing garbage from Avis which has nothing to do with operations. I'm sure you spent tons of $ with Avis and hoped they would offer some flexibility with you. Sadly not.

Closer to your point, you specified the pickup time, yes? Why don't you just wait the hour and pick it up? This avoids the reprice, this thread and your need to leave Avis.

In a different example, hotels often have a 3pm check in. If your past 170 visits the rep allowed you to check in at 2pm, then this time wanted to charge you a half-day extra for early check-in, who is at fault?

In summary, go back to your mutually agreed upon contract.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I've had this happen before too. If I pickup early, they assume an early pickup and the originally stated return. In this case, if I arrive early and return early (e.g. keep the car for under 24 hours), I get the original rate. If I arrive early and keep the car until scheduled return (e.g. keep the car for 25 hours), I would get charged for an hour and a day, and would certainly expect this. Not a big deal at all once one understands the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.