Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes and Fees outrageous!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Taxes and Fees outrageous!

Trying to book a month long rental in the Northeast. I checked LGA, EWR, PHL, etc and all have exorbitant taxes and fees ranging from $400-$500!

Fees include:
Concession recovery? - $85
Customer facility charge? - $240
Other Fees? - $75
Domestic Security Fee? - $140

The last couple of years I rented I don't remember the fees being that high.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Avis isn't alone in this. Some of the fees are by the rental agency, others are "taxes" imposed on out-of-towners by locals since the travelers don't vote locally.

If you're renting for more than a few days, your best bet is to take a taxi/train/bus/other to a non-airport location and rent from there. You can avoid nearly all of the crappy fees. The risk is that the off-site location won't have much of a selection, but you can always get the vehicle there and then swap at an airport location during your rental sometime.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
rent from a local location, and won't see all the fees, except in NJ where there a daily $5 fee plus tax, which is non sense, but there is nothing you can do.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I used to live near LGA/JFK, and when I needed to rent a car for a week or a weekend, I usually did so through the combined Avis/Budget locations at either New Hyde Park or Lynbrook/Rockville Centre, in Nassau County. I believe that both locations will pick up from nearby Long Island Rail Road stations by pre-arrangement made 24 hours in advance.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Definitely price a 30-day rental at the New Hyde Park Budget office. With either the AARP or Entertainment Book BCD, I'm getting a rate in October of $737 all-in for a compact (not counting optional insurance) per Orbitz. Of that total, taxes/fees are only $121.

Not sure if Budget would offer an even lower price on budget.com for a prepaid on a monthly rental.

The Entertainment Book also has a coupon for $50 off a monthly rental with Budget, but only for an intermediate or larger car. With the coupon, you should be able to get the intermediate for a few dollars less than the compact.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
For a one month rental, I would look to Priceline and lowball. Pick a location "near the airport" - not at the airport.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You can also consider making a 1 day reservation at the airport with a return at a neighborhood office, and then a separate reservation from that neighborhood office for the rest of the time. This way, you pay airport facility fees ("concession recovery" and "customer facility" in your breakdown) only on 1 day worth of rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.