Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where did all the flowers ... er-r-r, Cadillacs go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Where did all the flowers ... er-r-r, Cadillacs go?

My usual Cadillac CTS Sedan/SRX Crossover choices have not been available over the last few months' 10 to 15 day rentals at FLL. On calling the Chairman's Club desk, I was told that the "regional fleet managers" had stopped buying Cadillacs in a few areas within the US (Detroit and another California area were mentioned). No reason was given ... but I suspect not enough "palm greasing". (They were buying Buicks, so GM was apparently not the issue.)

As a Chairman (not related to Chairman Mao), I can rent an intermediate car and request a luxury car of my choice (subject to availability) prior to arrival.

So we were assigned a series of vehicles, none of which were suitable to our driving habits or needs or physical attributes ... even though they were upgrades. My wife and I are both lean but vertically challenged (5'4" and 5'3") and both rather good looking ... think shorter versions of Sean Penn and Angelina Jolie on Medicare and Lipitor.

Buick Enclave ---crossover with three rows of seating plus large baggage area --- drives nicely, but too lengthy and too many blind spots.

Lincoln Town Car --- similar to navigating a 53 foot yacht or eighteen wheel semi.

Hyundai Genesis --- gorgeous styling but poor rear and side visibility ... adjustable passenger seat that leaves the passenger's chin resting on the dashboard ... overly sensitive foot brake that constantly jerks the vehicle even when lightly tapping the pedal.

Chrysler --- I hate all Chrysler products!

So each vehicle posed a set of challenges: steering wheel crushing our lower torsos, gas and brake pedals out of our reach, jerky brakes, blind spots for side and rear viewing, limited seat height for seeing over the steering wheel. Thank goodness for the "see-through" steering wheel design of today's modern vehicles.

In the last four months, we either refused the offered vehicle (once) or drove to FLL or PBI the following day, after requesting a replacement from the AVIS Chairmans Club telephone desk.

Thanks in advance to those of you FTers who are in the same situation ... I can sense your empathy building. To all of you tall folks out there, stop your moaning and groaning.

Meanwhile, our acceptable options at this time appear to include:

Human Growth Hormone injections

BMW X5 (Crossover/SUV) --- no complaints except it seems to guzzle 16mpg highway ... and it takes 20 minutes to figure out how to shift from P to R or D and then return to P, not to mention hours of accumulated frustration in learning where to poke and press and twist for other options (radio, navigation, etc.).

Lincoln MKT (Crossover/SUV) --- no complaints.

Question: Anyone else out there have pet peeves about specific automobile brands or models ... or, conversely, strong positive feelings?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
I would say the reduction in Cadillacs are not a "few areas" but everywhere, as far as I can see.

In good news, they've been replaced by Infinitis, BMWs, and Lincolns (as you've noted).

I also thought Cadillac was discontinuing the CTS in favor of the ATS this year?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Ats <- cts -> xts

Originally Posted by bkafrick
...I also thought Cadillac was discontinuing the CTS in favor of the ATS this year?
Not really. The ATS is a downsized upscale model ... based on the CTS architecture ... designed to fill the failed Cimmaron slot.

Research indicates that the next generation 2014 CTS (appearing in late 2013) will be based on a new "Alpha" platform, designed for stronger competition with the BMW 5 series.

And they'll be coming out with an XTS said to be "a larger, more upright version of the popular CTS sedan".

Frankly, those of us who have been driving Cadillacs for years will probably stick with the CTS for its comfortable exterior size and interior space and its smooth handling and soft ride. The ATS will be an attempt to attract the younger crowd ... those who are currently attracted to the beautifully designed CTS coupe (which, unfortunately, has no head or leg room in the back seats and very low head room in the front seats). The XTS may be too big for folks who are not looking for a "boat".

To quote a young maiden who befriended a family of three ursine creatures ... "The XTS is too-oo-oo big; the ATS is too-oo-oo small; the CTS is jus-s-s-t right."
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:52 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by N9MD
BMW X5 (Crossover/SUV) --- no complaints except it seems to guzzle 16mpg highway ... and it takes 20 minutes to figure out how to shift from P to R or D and then return to P, not to mention hours of accumulated frustration in learning where to poke and press and twist for other options (radio, navigation, etc.).

Lincoln MKT (Crossover/SUV) --- no complaints.

Question: Anyone else out there have pet peeves about specific automobile brands or models ... or, conversely, strong positive feelings?
I've noticed Cadillacs are on their way out (or gone) everywhere, not just some places. This includes the DTS (~18 months since I've seen one at Avis at MDT), STS (over a year since SFO had the last I saw), CTS (which are becoming more rare), CTS Coupe/Wagon (been over a year again), and SRX (the ones I've seen in the last 2 months all have over 15k miles). Call me old-fashioned, but I loved the DTS (the technology was old but it drove so smooth).

The replacements, in my opinon:
Lincolns (Non-Town Car) - Very good. Handle well and have very good standard features. I think the MKT is the best vehicle Avis has right now and my gf thinks the MKX is the best thing on wheels. I also like the changing interior colors (minor, I know..) and the new displays on the radio/hvac. Sometimes, changing the fan speed or volume on the radio with their new ones is tough to get used to (I like round buttons) but that's why there are steering wheel buttons.

Infiniti (M/F Series) - Amazing handling, great features and a comfy ride. The G series has tiny back seats.

BMW - Poor pickup and lack of decent standard features. Also, I agree on the frustration on the interior buttons and such.

Another brand I hated, but it doesn't matter anymore, is Pontiac. The annoying red interior lights got to me at night.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Infiniti (M/F Series) - Amazing handling, great features and a comfy ride. The G series has tiny back seats.
I have yet to see an M on any site. But I would love to. Do like the FX series.

Personally, I own a G in real life, and I LOVE it. Of course, I dont sit in the back seat

But I think the G37x beats out the competition within its class (BMW 335ix, Lexus IS350, etc.)... though the new 2013 Lexus GS that I see advertised truly intrigues me...

Sorry... off-topic.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:14 pm

I have yet to see an M on any site. But I would love to. Do like the FX series.

Personally, I own a G in real life, and I LOVE it. Of course, I dont sit in the back seat

But I think the G37x beats out the competition within its class (BMW 335ix, Lexus IS350, etc.)... though the new 2013 Lexus GS that I see advertised truly intrigues me...

Sorry... off-topic.
I've had an M from ORD and SFO and seen them at IAH and BUF, all in the last 3 weeks. I agree that the G37x is a very nice ride. My biggest beef with the G25 is that I often reserve full-size as I'm having a few people with me, and Avis upgrades me to this. It's way too small for full-size.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Picked up an SRX4 last week with 1,922 miles on it and have it for the next 4 weeks. Full load, very nice.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by N9MD
Not really. The ATS is a downsized upscale model ... based on the CTS architecture
No, no, no. The ATS is built off an entirely new architecture.

The XTS is built off a lengthened Vectra II (Malibu) architecture.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
I've noticed Cadillacs are on their way out (or gone) everywhere, not just some places. This includes the DTS (~18 months since I've seen one at Avis at MDT), STS (over a year since SFO had the last I saw), CTS (which are becoming more rare), CTS Coupe/Wagon (been over a year again), and SRX (the ones I've seen in the last 2 months all have over 15k miles). Call me old-fashioned, but I loved the DTS (the technology was old but it drove so smooth).
DTS as a car has been discontinued; XTS is the (rather poor) replacement. I think it's a huge mistake as the XTS looks are not unique and remind me of a bad Taurus. CTS is the only one I like, hope no significant changes. SRX has extremely poor sight lines at the A pillars and I'm not a crossover fan.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Apr 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm Reason: cleaned up the quote.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:49 pm

Is the CC's benefit of "best car on the lot but not including Cool cars" not strictly enforced? I would've thought BMW X5s and Lincoln MKTs to be Cool/Specialty vehicles excluded from CC upgrade?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by mdaecher
SRX has extremely poor sight lines at the A
Agreed! And with 20 2x4s (8' long from the rear to above the gear shifter), it's even more difficult to see out that thing. I got another SRX from IAH today with 13k on the clock Only other Lux they had was a Lincoln sedan but it was already reserved

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Is the CC's benefit of "best car on the lot but not including Cool cars" not strictly enforced? I would've thought BMW X5s and Lincoln MKTs to be Cool/Specialty vehicles excluded from CC upgrade?
Most locations will give CC members cool/specialty cars. Typical denials include Corvettes or H3s when they were around. Some locations/people won't, though. As with most things in life, "it depends."
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
As I understand it, a specialty car is only a specialty car if it's advertised as a specialty car at a particular location. An X5 might be a specialty at LAS (say) but not at FLL.

I have no idea what the logic is behind assigning "Cool Cars" to locations, though there doesn't seem to be any.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:41 pm

I've had an M from ORD and SFO and seen them at IAH and BUF, all in the last 3 weeks. I agree that the G37x is a very nice ride.
And low and behold, there were two M37's on the lot in SYR this week. So, I'm happy
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:18 am

And low and behold, there were two M37's on the lot in SYR this week. So, I'm happy
Yeah, for a sedan, that's my favorite thing in the Avis fleet (unfortunately, at BUF, I only saw it when I was returning). If I need an SUV, I'm in favor of the FX or the MKT (which seem to be disappearing lately).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:01 am

Another question for our CC members; can you regularly request and receive convertibles (e.g. Mustangs) with an intermediate booking? Or is it as IAHTraveler said before, YMMV with location and manager?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.