Avis Preferred EU vs US

Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Avis Preferred EU vs US

Does anyone have experience with the EU Preferred programme in contrast to the US program? According to the .ie site you earn plus status at 5 rentals/EUR1k spend and PC at 10 rentals/EUR2k spend. Seems much quicker. Do you need EU residency? I rent a car in DUB 10-12x per year. Only a handful of times in the US. Seems odd that the programs are not consolidated. Eventhough you can still earn in foreign Avis locations.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
I vaguely remember I was asked to bring a paper the first time I rented with Avis Preferred EU, I don't remember whether it was a bank/card statement or utility bill. Anyway, as I'm EU resident with EU driving license, I did not care much.
PC experience in the UK and EU is quite good, got upgraded around 90% of the time, and some of the upgrades are really good (from economy to a C200 was the best I had so far)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by weberduder
Does anyone have experience with the EU Preferred programme in contrast to the US program? According to the .ie site you earn plus status at 5 rentals/EUR1k spend and PC at 10 rentals/EUR2k spend. Seems much quicker. Do you need EU residency? I rent a car in DUB 10-12x per year. Only a handful of times in the US. Seems odd that the programs are not consolidated. Eventhough you can still earn in foreign Avis locations.
I made a post about this last year.

In the UK/Europe and the United States, the membership system works like this.

Avis Preferred
Avis Preferred Plus (hire 5+ vehicles and spend €1,000)
Avis President’s Club tiers (hire 10+ vehicles and spend €2,000)

Avis Preferred
Avis Preferred Plus (12 rentals or spend $5,000 US dollars)
In other words, we can only receive President's Club status by invitation in the United States.

Correct me if I'm wrong, European Avis card holders still obtain rental credits even when they travel to the United States. Here's my question. What's stopping me from obtaining a Avis/UK branded membership card in the United States and gaining President's Club that way?

http://www.avis.co.uk/your-avis/avis-loyalty
I was able to sign up and get a Avis/UK branded preferred card with a membership number using only US information (address, phone number, etc).

First problem I've run into. I can rent vehicles in the United States directly from the Avis/UK portal but the prices are astronomically higher. You can not log into Avis/US portal with your Avis/UK login information, and vice versa.

If I can use my Avis/UK membership number on sites such as Priceline, Expedia to rent vehicles in the United States but gain the rental credits to the UK preferred card, then that will be a way around that issue.

What I found out is when you rent a vehicle through the Avis EU website at American airports, the location can be dramatically higher or lower than if you used the Avis US website. Unfortunately for me, it was dramatically higher for the airports I frequently used.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
thanks for reposting. I searched but didn't find too much. I may just setup a new account for the EU as I will barely reach preferred status in the US. I'm much better off getting the EU status where I have more frequent travel.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Just to clarify, you need 5 rentals and 1000EUR spend to reach Preferred Plus in the UK, compared to 12 rentals or $5000 in the US.

Also, in the UK, we do not earn credits towards free rentals (other than a free weekend rental after the third rental), whereas in America you might (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:01 am

One difference for example is that for EU Presidents Club members benefits are can only given in the following countries (source: https://www.avis.co.uk/your-avis/avis-loyalty)

Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Iceland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
United Kingdom

I came across this because when logging in into the US app it shows for me only Preferred as status. When emailing the customer service they told me that the programs are different between Europe and US. well in the US they don't seem to know because I got upgrades but usually only after asking.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Anecdotal recent evidence from a UK Presidents Club member.

Original assigned car (Kia Sportage) was the category I booked (intermediate SUV).

When I went in and without asking to see the card (I said I was Presidents Club) I was offered a Ford Explorer Sport (which I think is about two or three categories higher).

My receipt showed "Preferred" as status level.

In terms of booking, the Avis UK website was much cheaper than Avis US website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.