Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

What does "upgrade to best available car" for Avis Chairman's Club really mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres

Are there any specific car categories that are excluded? All sports cars/"cool" cars/foreign cars like BMW/Mercedes in the USA?

SFO wanted to give me a Kia, although they had plenty of much nicer cars available. They claimed that everything is just at their discretion. Is that correct? As my Chairman's Club package never arrived in the mail (I definitely have the status, though) and I cannot find the exact rules online, I am confused now.

In the app, no such restriction is mentioned - it just says you get the best car available. Quite clearly, what SFO is doing is not even close to that.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
I've definitely seen BMWs, Mercs, etc sitting out with the CHM paperwork on the dash at the Florida airport locations. I believe it is up to the station whether they go beyond luxury, though. Some licensees won't even do that. Others will pull inventory from other locations to get you a good car.

Everything is dependent on actual availability, though. There are times when the lot looks pretty darn full but the vast majority of the cars are already assigned to upcoming preferred reservations.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
They offered me better cars for more money, so the availability was there.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
General rules:
- Basic reminder: Upgrades are to the best available car.
- Signature cars are exempted from CHM upgrades; that's at the station's discretion.
- Everything else is up for grabs, even if already assigned to somebody else, IF that car class is still available for that other renter.
- The only cars you can't "take away" are ones assigned to other CHMs.

I've had my issues with SFO in the past. If it's not a Signature Series car, then you got a poorly trained agent. If it happens again, call the CHM desk to see if they can call the station to intervene.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
SFO is usually pretty on the ball for CHM... Separate screen often pointing to the CHM spaces. I'm surprised to hear you got a Kia!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mzrn
I'm surprised to hear you got a Kia!
I'm not. SFO has improved, but not enough IMO. It seems (to me, at least) that they don't stress acknowledge of CHM benefits enough when they train their frontline agents, not as much as other stations on average.

Virtually every other station at a major airport I've been to "gets it" as well as the majority of the smaller airport locations. Heck, some of my best experiences have come at the smaller airports (HPN and MCI come to mind immediately).

As much CHM traffic as SFO gets, they really should be better.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Plat, Ambassador, Hertz Five Star
Is Avid CHM higher than Presidents, or are these levels one in the same given the recent program changes? Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ajg276
Is Avid CHM higher than Presidents, or are these levels one in the same given the recent program changes? Thanks!
CHM is a level higher than Presidents, and usually by invitation only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.