Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retracted Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Thumbs down Retracted Upgrade

Anyone ever had Avis retract an upgrade? Coming into SFO last week I had rented a Luxury vehicle and I received the APP and email notification to go to space XX and it was a Silver BMW 528X. Ok. As I'm getting off the AirTrain, I get another notification stating a different space and a Lincoln.

First, does anyone (First) ever get upgrades anymore with with Avis and Second, isn't that the worst loyalty service ever to give an upgrade and then retract it?

I tried to ask them but the refused to let me take the BMW, though I showed them the email.

Awful.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is my expectation with Avis:

1 - car is available
2 - car does not have crazy mileage
3 - car does not smell like smoke
4 - car is clean
5 - car does not show Service Engine soon during my rental period
6 - car does not have any problems that I don't see for which they will ding me at return

Pretty basic but not met a lot of the time. Upgrades do happen but terrible cars are assigned at times too.

I think both cars are Luxury type, right? You just like the BMW more?
Old May 24, 2015, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Retracted Upgrade

No, the BMW is a Signature vehicles which is an upgrade from Luxury. The point isn't what car I like better. The point is a loyalty based company shouldn't upgrade the customer and send them the notification then take that upgrade away upon getting the vehicle. They wasted my time as I had to go to the counter to ask them which one of the notifications and cars I was supposed to drive off in. I've never seen any travel company give an upgrade then take it back. It's bad business.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you go to the space for the BMW and see if was even there?

Unless you did, it's possible that they assigned you a "phantom" car (a car that was not at that space, for whatever reason), and then corrected it, but the person you talked to was not the one who did it so didn't know anything about.

I've been at the Exit with a car that I picked up in the (Select & Go) Exchange area and have been told it was "assigned" to someone else (but then they let me take anyway after a few minutes). Did the person who had been assigned the car I picked up get a second email because my picking up their original car triggered a reassigned of the their upgrade?
Old May 25, 2015, 10:50 am

So basically sdsearch is telling you he took your car
Old May 25, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Yes, went to the space and put my stuff in it and set everything up. Noticed the app notification as I was getting off the train but did not look at it until I got into the BMW that they had sent me notification of at first. Once I saw that it was a Lincoln in a different space, I drove up to the Preferred area and went to the desk. They told me I had to put the BMW back and take the MXZ. They even had record that they had originally sent me to the BMW space but they just shrugged and said they couldn't do anything about it.
Honestly, the Lincoln is actually a better equipped car (Leather at least!) but I only drive BMWs in real life so when I get upgraded or feel like upgrading it's at least a familiar (if only the basest of versions) car.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfullmer
...The point isn't what car I like better. The point is a loyalty based company shouldn't upgrade the customer and send them the notification then take that upgrade away upon getting the vehicle. They wasted my time... It's bad business.
I think most of us will agree with you on the last sentence. This is how Avis is - from the way they handled/are handling the Avis First discontinuation to how they ding people on damages not caused by them... They really don't care and your experience with them will be less frustrating if you go in with LOW LOW LOW expectation.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While definitely not ideal, upgrade "retractions" do happen. I've been pre-upgraded by hotels before, but when I checked in, the upgrade was gone. There are threads in virtually all the hotel forums about that happening. I've seen airlines do the same thing as well. Check the airline forums and you find threads on some not only getting pre-upgraded, but upgraded and even boarded, and then being asked to move back into coach.

Again, not ideal but it happens with all the programs.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
While definitely not ideal, upgrade "retractions" do happen. I've been pre-upgraded by hotels before, but when I checked in, the upgrade was gone. There are threads in virtually all the hotel forums about that happening. I've seen airlines do the same thing as well. Check the airline forums and you find threads on some not only getting pre-upgraded, but upgraded and even boarded, and then being asked to move back into coach.

Again, not ideal but it happens with all the programs.
I fly over 280k most years on both Delta and United and I've NEVER been downgraded once I've been upgraded. I've read a lot of those posts and am an Admin on both the Diamond Medallion and Premier 1K boards on Fb with many contacts inside both airlines. We've caught many shills on the boards just stirring up trouble by just telling lies. I can tell you, without question, Neither Delta or United upgrade their elites (X day out or at the gate) and then downgrade them once they are on the plane. I've seen FAs bring people from the back to the front of the plane just before the door closes, thinking a FC customer has missed their flight and then have to move them back when the person makes it on at the last minute but that's not the company upgrading then downgrading.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly over 280k most years on both Delta and United and I've NEVER been downgraded once I've been upgraded. I've read a lot of those posts and am an Admin on both the Diamond Medallion and Premier 1K boards on Fb with many contacts inside both airlines. We've caught many shills on the boards just stirring up trouble by just telling lies. I can tell you, without question, Neither Delta or United upgrade their elites (X day out or at the gate) and then downgrade them once they are on the plane. I've seen FAs bring people from the back to the front of the plane just before the door closes, thinking a FC customer has missed their flight and then have to move them back when the person makes it on at the last minute but that's not the company upgrading then downgrading.
So if a FAM (Federal Air Marshall) has to sit up front, and that becomes known to the airline only after front has been filled with upgrades, who does Delta or United kick out? Never someone who upgraded (even if they're in the seat the FAM is taking), always some other kind of passenger?

Or what if there's a plane substitution, and a mix of paying and upgrading passengers were all assigned to a full front cabin, but now the substituted plane has less seats up front. Who does Delta or United kick out? Never someone who got upgraded, always some other kind of passenger?

Gosh, what about an even simpler case where one seat is broken and unusable, but that's only discovered when the plane arrives. Do they kick out whoever had that seat assigned, even if they paid full-fare price for the front cabin, and not kick out someone got upgraded off of deep discount economy?
Old May 26, 2015, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So if a FAM (Federal Air Marshall) has to sit up front, and that becomes known to the airline only after front has been filled with upgrades, who does Delta or United kick out? Never someone who upgraded (even if they're in the seat the FAM is taking), always some other kind of passenger?

You are arguing over one offs? Get a life.

Or what if there's a plane substitution, and a mix of paying and upgrading passengers were all assigned to a full front cabin, but now the substituted plane has less seats up front. Who does Delta or United kick out? Never someone who got upgraded, always some other kind of passenger?

Gosh, what about an even simpler case where one seat is broken and unusable, but that's only discovered when the plane arrives. Do they kick out whoever had that seat assigned, even if they paid full-fare price for the front cabin, and not kick out someone got upgraded off of deep discount economy?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:37 am

if i flew 280k miles on both airlines and was that high in their FF programs, i probably wouldn't get downgraded, either. The rest of us, however, might. I saw it happen a few months ago on United. First was overbooked and they were asking for volunteers to take a downgrade back to economy. Pretty sure they even offered a voucher or something. But i'm probably just a shill trying to stir the pot with my lies...what do i know...
Old May 26, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhutch
if i flew 280k miles on both airlines and was that high in their FF programs, i probably wouldn't get downgraded, either. The rest of us, however, might. I saw it happen a few months ago on United. First was overbooked and they were asking for volunteers to take a downgrade back to economy. Pretty sure they even offered a voucher or something. But i'm probably just a shill trying to stir the pot with my lies...what do i know...
I've definitely heard both airlines ask that and yeah, they usually offer vouchers also. I've taken several $800+ vouchers to take a later flight (still in FC) because they oversold or otherwise needed seats in FC. Asking for volunteers is not the same as taking away an upgrade, however. Interesting your would think you are a "shill trying to stir the pot" since it doesn't seem like it but I guess you know yourself better than anyone.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are arguing over one offs? Get a life.
You started this thread over something that you haven't proved isn't a one-off at Avis. So why aren't you telling yourself to get a life???
Old May 26, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You started this thread over something that you haven't proved isn't a one-off at Avis. So why aren't you telling yourself to get a life???
This was not a special circumstance or "one off". They upgraded me to a vehicle. That vehicle was available. They downgraded me and told me I couldn't take the vehicle they originally assigned to me. The three people I interacted with had no idea why my vehicle assignment had changed.

What makes this so hard to understand or do you just like to argue?

My post is asking if this has ever happened to anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.