Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Notification of $250 "smoke odor" charge - Huh?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Notification of $250 "smoke odor" charge - Huh?

I've been an Avis First and Preferred member for many years - renting 30+ cars a year. I've never seen anything like this. Completely out of the blue on 4/21 I received a letter from Avis saying that a Portland, OR rental by me was returned and they "discovered smoke odor" in the car - so they will be billing me $250. WHAT?

First, nobody smoked in the car - it didn't happen. Second, an Avis rep. was in the car when I returned it to PDX and nothing was said about any smoke odor. Third, apparently it took over three weeks to notify me from the date of the rental.

This is crazy! I called the customer service number on the letter (the general Avis number) and was told they'd start an inquiry. When I asked them to see how many times I rented from Avis last year the agent (who was very polite) told me they were aware of that and would get back to me. So far no word back.

Has anything like this every happened to you? How did you resolve it?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would suggest you initiate a charge-back on your credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.