Wiki Posts
Search

Using LM from SJO to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Using LM from SJO to Europe

It appears now that most routes will no longer go thru the US or Canada but via PTY on TAP. Just a heads up for those stuck in the land of Pura Vida. I am having a hard time finding availability to FRA or VIE in September. Losing the Taca non stops really hurts, making for crappy connections.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:16 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Iberia is a partner in Lifemiles. Have you tried a search using IB specifically? Please be aware that some partners do not allow one way awards and therefore you are required to book a RT one.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Yes I have. To use IB you must use them roundtrip, and use more miles to get form MAD to your final destination.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I have never looked for AV from SJO to Europe, but it seems to me that BOG would be the easiest connection. Just curious. Was that not offered as an option?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

No. Most routes to Europe are showing as PTY-LIS and then onward. Some routes are SAL-YYZ and onward. Canada is a no no for me and my girlfriend. Nothing avaiable via EWR. Thanks Avianca for pulling most of the non stops!!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Nothing on LH via MEX or BOG?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by nydave
Thanks Avianca for pulling most of the non stops!!
The dehubbing of SJO by Avianca is a huge bone of contention for folks in Costa Rica. In fairness, though, Taca was fed up with Costa Rica and the snail's pace of modernizing SJO long before Avianca came along. It didn't surprise me that SJO was the first place they made cuts.

I hope you can find your flight availability.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
The dehubbing of SJO by Avianca is a huge bone of contention for folks in Costa Rica. In fairness, though, Taca was fed up with Costa Rica and the snail's pace of modernizing SJO long before Avianca came along. It didn't surprise me that SJO was the first place they made cuts.
SJO is sure nice now, though.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
It's very nice, but it was agonizingly slow to get there. I attended a press event to "inaugurate the new terminal" in August 2000. The only thing new at the time was the start of the present baggage-claim area. That was over 13 years ago, and the work is not entirely done yet. And, in the end, SJO is probably still too small for the traffic it gets.

In the meantime, GUA, PTY, MGA, and TGU transformed themselves from aging and dreary to modern and sparkling, and they did it a lot faster than Costa Rica did.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

I have found one SJO-PTY-LIS-VIE route in sept that is available for 52.5K. There is nothing for a return from BUD-VIE-MUC. The problem with the BOG and MEX flights rae bad connections. I may have to suck it up and pay for an interjet flight to MEX if LH F becomes available.

Also no availability to IAH or EWR unless thru goofy routings. Even Miami is now a change. Sigh.

Thanks to all.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:43 pm

Have you considered two separate tickets? Or is the price not worth it?
Old May 3, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I may take this routing as it is only semi horrible. Layovers arent bad. The cheapo in me would prefer not to spend $$$ to MEX then 80k to MUC then 12.5 to BUD, as opposed to the 52.5 for this route. Any thoughts on getting me back from either BUD or VIE? Or do I have to suck it up and spend $$$ or miles splitting tickets on the return? Looking to come back to the land of Pura Vida and rain Oct 2 or 3.

Thank you Lifemile Wizards!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.