Search

Avianca Checked Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott, Hyatt
Avianca Checked Baggage

Hi All,

On Avianca, I am flying JFK to MDE with a connection in BOG in Business Class. I wanted to know if my luggage will be checked all the way through to MDE or will I pick it up in BOG, go through Colombian border/customs and then re-check the bag in BOG to MDE?

I actually would prefer to get the bag at BOG as I want to leave it with the guarda equipaje (baggage storage) since I will need those items for a later part of the trip and not in MDE.

Can someone answer how will Avianca handle my checked baggage in this situation?

Also, does anyone know if I could request that I get the bags at BOG to then store and continue on to my MDE flight 2h30m later?

Thank you!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by stevenhkapt
Hi All,

On Avianca, I am flying JFK to MDE with a connection in BOG in Business Class. I wanted to know if my luggage will be checked all the way through to MDE or will I pick it up in BOG, go through Colombian border/customs and then re-check the bag in BOG to MDE?

I actually would prefer to get the bag at BOG as I want to leave it with the guarda equipaje (baggage storage) since I will need those items for a later part of the trip and not in MDE.

Can someone answer how will Avianca handle my checked baggage in this situation?

Also, does anyone know if I could request that I get the bags at BOG to then store and continue on to my MDE flight 2h30m later?

Thank you!
​​​​​​
I've done international-BOG-MDE, bags are checked to Medellin. No idea if they'll be willing to check them to Bog as it's not an extended connection time, sorry.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Is it possible to check baggage to the last destination if using separate tickets for two connecting legs?
I'm planning SJO-BCN via BOG. SJO-BOG with a paid ticket on LR (Avianca Costa Rica), and then BOG-BCN with an award ticket on AV (Avianca Colombia), but I'm not sure if SJO counter staff is capable of checking my bags to BCN with separate tickets. Any experience or suggestions on this one?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
Is it possible to check baggage to the last destination if using separate tickets for two connecting legs?
I'm planning SJO-BCN via BOG. SJO-BOG with a paid ticket on LR (Avianca Costa Rica), and then BOG-BCN with an award ticket on AV (Avianca Colombia), but I'm not sure if SJO counter staff is capable of checking my bags to BCN with separate tickets. Any experience or suggestions on this one?
You're not going to know for sure until you get to the counter at SJO, but I would expect them to be able to do that.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Also, within the same ticket, in the following sequence

​​​​​​JFK-BOG-VVI
VVI-LIM

The layover in VVI is 4 hours, will AV be willing to check my bag all the way to LIM? It's not just convenience but saving $130 (may be higher now) visa fee just to clear immigration.

Push comes to shove I would just carry my luggage on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.