Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Combination of Revenue and Mileage Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Copa changed their ADZ-PTY nonstop from a cool 7 PM to a ridiculously early time of 12:30PM (???) and now I'm in a bit of a pickle as I can't leave that early since I expect to be on an island tour returning around 4-5 PM and then heading straight to the airport.

I've tried everything and short of buying an expensive one-way for US$439.02 on a through ticket ADZ-BOG-PTY, the other option I came up with for the same exact flights is:

Flight 1: AV 9777 dep ADZ 17:55 arr BOG 19:59 (US$115.63)
<<<time between flights in BOG 2:36>>>
Flight 2: AV 8379 dep BOG 22:35 arr PTY 00:13 (10K UA miles + $63.25).
So total cost is 10K UA miles + $178.88.

So the difference is 10K UA miles for the $260.14 cost difference ($439.02-$178.88). And the question becomes: is it worth the risk of a delayed ADZ-BOG flight? I checked Flightstats and although the average delay is reported to be 39 min and delays look minimal or nil on the several random dates I checked, I saw one date with a delay of 3.5 hours! Obviously if that happens I'll be paying my own way to PTY the next morning.

I e-mailed LifeMiles support and they advised that even though both flights were AV operated, "I would like to inform you that when purchasing two separate tickets you take the risk of losing your second flight and the airline should not take responsibility for sending you to a later flight, since you acquire two separate flight contracts. In this case, our best recommendation would be to purchase your ticket fully with cash...".

So I was just wondering how much of a delay to 9777 I could absorb. I haven't done a domestic to international change in BOG for a long time and I can't remember the logistics. Will I have to check in from scratch in BOG or will I be able to check in for the BOG-PTY segment online, or at ADZ itself at the Avianca counter when I check in for 9777, and then go straight to the gate in BOG? Generally a 2:36 "connection" is sold without issues, but in my case a "connection" it will be not.

If I have to check in from scratch, I assume I will have to exit security and go to the check-in desk etc. or is there a "transfer" desk? Plus I don't know if I'll have to change terminals.

Thanks

P.S. I just realized 9777 comes into T2 and PTY departs T1.

Last edited by gq_dq; Aug 5, 2016 at 5:19 pm Reason: Terminal info
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
Is the same itinerary not available for ADZ-BOG-PTY when searching reward flights?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AdamSouthFL
Is the same itinerary not available for ADZ-BOG-PTY when searching reward flights?
Yup, it is. But only with LifeMiles, not UA. For 44,000 LM in Biz or 54,500 in Economy(?!), neither of which I have.

Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gq_dq
I haven't done a domestic to international change in BOG for a long time and I can't remember the logistics. Will I have to check in from scratch in BOG or will I be able to check in for the BOG-PTY segment online, or at ADZ itself at the Avianca counter when I check in for 9777, and then go straight to the gate in BOG? Generally a 2:36 "connection" is sold without issues, but in my case a "connection" it will be not.
Your ADZ flight will arrive in Puente Aereo, and your PTY flight will depart from T1. That is not an easy transfer. You will have to take a bus to T1, then clear immigration and security. The process is described here: Rutas que operan en Eldorado.

I would not do this on separate tickets and only 2:36. BOG is not an easy airport under the best of circumstances.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 10, 2016 at 9:04 am
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Your ADZ flight will arrive in Puente Aereo, and your PTY flight will depart from T1. That is not an easy transfer. You will have to take a bus to T1, then clear immigration and security. The process is described here: Rutas que operan en Eldorado.

I would not do this on separate tickets and only 2:36. BOG is not an easy airport under the best of circumstances.
Well waiting appears to have paid off and I was able to snag both flights on the same ticket using Miles, in Biz. So now I just have to connect... not over yet! At least I can get get checked through in ADZ itself. I wouldn't have wanted to do this on separate tix either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.