Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by george 3
Also, there is a report on CNN that the flight crew reported that there was a problem before landing as air traffic control promised that emergency vehicles would be there. If that is true, have pax interviews revealed that warnings were provided by the crew?
From the ATC archive linked upthread, there was no warning before the crash. ATC can be heard telling the pilots that emergency vehicles are on the way following the impact.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Are any of you also reading the thread on Travelbuzz? Did anyone hear the incredible interview with one of the survivors from the crash "Benjamin Levy?" He said he popped the rear door but the slide didn't inflate and helped people out of the plane. He said he also knew they were coming in way too low (flies in and out of SFO regularly) and heard the captain try to fire up the engines again but too late.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...hdown-sfo.html
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:22 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by username
From what I have seen (and I have been Internet challenged today), the last door did not open (at least on the R side). I wonder why. Did the L side open?

This is almost 5 hours later, you would think if people died inside, they would have found them. I am hoping it is simply a math error in the chaos of something like this. Survivability in this kind of crash should be pretty good nowadays.
On the aft doors, fuselage deformation that prevented the door from opening due to impact is a distinct possibility.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
What amazes me is that the US English language website has absolutely nothing about the crash - no phone number to call for family numbers, no link to press reports and no statement of their own! In fact if you run a flight status on it, it says it is still flying/arrived 1117am. What kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this?
they just posted

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...SVIEW&seq=2402
"Asiana Airlines flight OZ214 (Aircraft Registration HL7742) departed Incheon International Airport
on July 6, 2013 at 16:35 (Korea time) bound for San Francisco. Only July 7, 2013 at 11:28 (Local time)
an accident occurred as OZ214 was making a landing on San Francisco International Airport's runway 28.

There were a total of 291 passengers (19 business class, 272 travel class) and 16 cabin crew aboard. The majority of the passengers were comprised of 77 Korean citizens, 141 Chinese citizens, 61 US citizens, 1 Japanese citizen, etc. for a total of 291 people.

Asiana Airlines is currently investigating the specific cause of the incident as well as any injuries that may have been sustained to passengers as a result. Asiana Airlines will continue to cooperate fully with the investigation of all associated government agencies and to facilitate this cooperation has established an emergency response center at its headquarters.

At this point no additional information has been confirmed. New developments will be announced as more information becomes available."
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the SOP is at Immigration for this kind of situation. Remember, unless it is transit-without-visa, most of the passengers have valid US visa and very few, if any, would have been denied entry. So, it is not like they are taking advantage of the situaiton and try to sneak into the US now.

The are probably all in shock, want to see their loved ones and want to figure out what to do next - some might not have anything - documentation, money, mobile phones, etc.

I would expect OZ would have SOP for this kind of thing, including updating the website. I would not expect it to be a total revamp of the website - like what UA and AA did after 9/11. When the Colgan Air (CO Exporess) crashed in BUF, CO basically washed its hand and linked to Colgan Air's website.

I like to take this opportunity to urge people to take safety instructions and exit door responsibilities seriously and keep the stuff under the seats during takeoff and landing. I think the majority don't and as we can see, crashes like this still happen.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
A person from the SF Dept of Emerg Mgmt is on CNN is now reporting that with the information they have, only 4 are unaccounted for, but isn't giving any other specific numbers, so we don't know if that is accurate.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The Washington Post's coverage includes this ominous line: “It flipped...hit the ground,” said one teenage boy who said he was aboard the flight. “The top just totally collapsed on top of a lot of people.”

Looking at the photos, much of the "top" is not visible -- the roof of the plane, structural members and conduit that is between the roof and ceiling, the overhead bins and contents of the overhead bins -- is gone. Perhaps it fell inside the plane and passengers were trapped/pinned underneath it.
At this point, there are photos of the pax departing the plane, and at that point the roof appears still intact. It is now destroyed, apparently by fire. It seems very unlikely that the top "collapsed on top of a lot of people." Not that I would dare call a teen who just went through a plane crash an unreliable witness.

Have y'all seen this graphic? I didn't see it posted in the thread. Interesting. I wasn't aware the Flightaware data was even this detailed. FlightAware data for yesterday (safe) vs. today (crash).
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by jn in ca
At this point, there are photos of the pax departing the plane, and at that point the roof appears still intact. It is now destroyed, apparently by fire. It seems very unlikely that the top "collapsed on top of a lot of people." Not that I would dare call a teen who just went through a plane crash an unreliable witness.
We're all armchair quarterbacking what it was like to be there; it is entirely possible that the plastic lining of the roof fell in on the passengers along with the overheads even if the aluminum shell didnt deform.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Bacai
they just posted

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...SVIEW&seq=2402
"Asiana Airlines flight OZ214 (Aircraft Registration HL7742) departed Incheon International Airport
on July 6, 2013 at 16:35 (Korea time) bound for San Francisco. Only July 7, 2013 at 11:28 (Local time)
an accident occurred as OZ214 was making a landing on San Francisco International Airport's runway 28.

There were a total of 291 passengers (19 business class, 272 travel class) and 16 cabin crew aboard. The majority of the passengers were comprised of 77 Korean citizens, 141 Chinese citizens, 61 US citizens, 1 Japanese citizen, etc. for a total of 291 people.

Asiana Airlines is currently investigating the specific cause of the incident as well as any injuries that may have been sustained to passengers as a result. Asiana Airlines will continue to cooperate fully with the investigation of all associated government agencies and to facilitate this cooperation has established an emergency response center at its headquarters.

At this point no additional information has been confirmed. New developments will be announced as more information becomes available."
Got it, but not so obvious from US website.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:30 pm

as i understand in situations like this, they gather as much information and report them to a media designee at certain intervals...(ie. how many went to which hospital and injuries, how many have been found etc).

for those uninjured, the airport authority at a safe location will stage buses or vehicles and transport them to a waiting area. there may be some disoriented by the whole event and wonder off. waiting area may include grief counselors, medical staff, translators, immigration/homeland security staff, airline reps, embassy staff etc etc....

and god forbid, some may have perished on board. long story short, it will take time to verify and account for everyone....

sam/karen - rule #1 in emergency management, saving and preserving life comes first. the immigration stuff, will involve various departments and embassies.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
My read on sequence of events based on the plane watcher eyewitness on CNN:
1. The tail hit the ground first and broke off causing the plane to rear up and then cartwheel and land again.
2. The rear section sucked off a few people into the ocean.
3. Originating in China is just wrong, this flight is from ICN-SFO.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Judging from these two photographs, the back of the plane was severely damaged in the crash -- most of the bottom part of the cabin aft of the wings is missing:

Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I apologize-haven't read every post. Looks to me like they hit the seawall on approach. Could be a number of reasons. Too much debris behind the line where the runway actually begins.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Got it, but not so obvious from US website.
No, it's not obvious at all.
And they just posted minutes ago. I wonder why take them so long.
The is no customer care????
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I don't think we'll see accurate numbers beyond the passenger manifest for hours.

In the meantime, SF Emergency Services is saying that four people are unaccounted for while the fire dept. said 60. I'm sure that everyone is working together to reconcile the numbers.

See http://accura.cc/v7bwn4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.