Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Is 50 minute layover long enough for ICN connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

So I'm flying HKG-->ICN-->SEA and there is a 50 minute layover in ICN. Is this a long enough lay over for an international flight? I'm a little dubious and nervous about missing my flight. Has anyone done this? and do you have to go through custom in ICN when you transfer planes?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
It can be done but walk briskly! I connected HKG/ICN/ATL last year with only 50 minutes and they had just started boarding when I arrived at the connecting gate.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I had something like a 50-minute connection last year at ICN, which I thought was no problem. It was TG-OZ, on two separate tickets. I ended up making it, but was sweating things when my TG flight was more than 20 minutes late in arriving. If your arriving flight is on-time, 50 minutes is plenty. If it's late, it all depends on how late it is. And of course if you're flying on separate tickets or not, meaning if the airline has a responsibility to rebook you on another flight or not.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:17 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
No Immigration

No Customs

Through check-in of Baggage

Just a usually effecient Security Check

Also most days its 60mins..not 50 with lots of connecting passengers as nobody flys this route Direct.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:01 pm

Same Terminal, Yes.

Two weeks ago, connecting in ICN with 70 minutes.

Delayed inbound with only approx 22 minutes between connections once the doors opened. Asiana customer service waiting for about 7 passengers at the gate for my connecting flight, wisked up through security (basically cut in line) and got us to our flight...

So it can be done, with some Asiana assistance
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:32 pm

I've taken that exact flight and routing a half dozen times. Never missed yet. The Asiana staff will speed you through to the head of the security line, and the last time I was there they motioned me not to bother taking off my jacket or taking out my 3-1-1 baggie. In line about five minutes, through security in another two, and off to the gate!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: UA, DL, OZ, HH/S, MR, PC, SPG, A-Club
risky...last HKG-ICN-SEA, landed and two other flights from North America offloads for transit...took over an hour to clear customs and security.

last time thru SFO, Customs and (mainly ->)TSA being a royal pain about some duty-free liquids and cost me extra hour packing and rechecking it into domestic. all TSA and employees are drooling over that liquid...

as a rule of thumb, 2-3 hour layover for int'l transit.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by eeprofessional
risky...last HKG-ICN-SEA, landed and two other flights from North America offloads for transit...took over an hour to clear customs and security.

last time thru SFO, Customs and (mainly ->)TSA being a royal pain about some duty-free liquids and cost me extra hour packing and rechecking it into domestic. all TSA and employees are drooling over that liquid...

2-3 hours? Customs? TSA? Are we talking about the same airport? ICN is in South Korea, not the USA. There is no customs for transiting passengers, only a security checkpoint. If you went through customs, it means you did passport control (inbound), customs, up to departure level, security check, passport control (outbound). No need to go through all that. There are several security checkpoints for transit passengers that only require you and your carry on items to pass through the scanners. That's it. And if one of them has a very long queue, I'd personally head over to another one, but first try to locate OZ groundstaff to see if they could be of assistance.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by eeprofessional

2-3 hrs works well in the US; everywhere else is much more efficiently run.

Transit security is a breeze at ICN, and if they let you through with it at HKG, they'll let you through with it at ICN.

ICN security (as with most other global, non-American airports) is quick and efficient AND staffed with competent, helpful employees (complete opposite of TSA).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Am doing this next month; anybody know if checked bags can make it or should I stick with just carry-on? thx
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:55 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by ceaton
Am doing this next month; anybody know if checked bags can make it or should I stick with just carry-on? thx
Usually if you can make it, your bags will.

LAX
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I would go there earlier to enjoy more time in the CX lounge in ICN.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
I have a SYD-ICN-MNL flight with OZ coming up in a couple of weeks with a 50min layover in ICN and due to arrive in MNL at 10:40pm.

I am actually quite nervous about the short connection and will be flying out of MNL at 6:20am the next day. Unfortunately I will have checked luggage and golf clubs.

Here is hoping there are no delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.