Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Royal Business on 747 [F Seats sold as C]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat

If you are booked in business class, Asiana will allow you to buy-up for ~$90, sitting in the first class cabin of the 747, but getting business class service.

Is the seat that much better for a 4+ hour flight?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peezondeez
If you are booked in business class, Asiana will allow you to buy-up for ~$90, sitting in the first class cabin of the 747, but getting business class service.

$90 for a 4 hour flight sounds worth it. You're going from an angle flat seat without all aisle access to a fully flat seat with all aisle access. ~$20 per hour for that seems reasonable.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:03 am

I think that is a good deal
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by peezondeez

Is this information published? What about other routes?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Is this information published? What about other routes?
Most people have noted you can't any longer freely choose the F seats. A surcharge applies.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Quite honestly, the actual seat is not that much better compared to the business seat in Asiana's 747. Both of them recline flat. In the flat position, the F seat is parallel to the floor, where as the Biz seat is angled relative to the floor. F section is nice, however the upper deck of the 747 is also special. One minor downside of F is the nose wheel is just below you. During take offs and landings, you will hear and feel it. Upstairs, with so much of the plane to absorb impact, you almost do not feel any landing (assuming the pilot and wind cooperate).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:10 pm

Can it be purchased on award tickets ?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:26 pm

I think you can. For any award reservation through other airlines (UA or ANA miles), you can select seat through Asiana website. There, you'll be offered to pay extra and choose preferred Y or royal C seats.

Doesn't have to be done upon checking in.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:46 pm

My experience

Booked JFK-ICN F Class and J ICN-HKG on 744 via Lifemiles - had to call in to get seats but was told that I could only pay for Royal Business seat on day of departure
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Booked JFK-ICN F Class and J ICN-HKG on 744 via Lifemiles - had to call in to get seats but was told that I could only pay for Royal Business seat on day of departure
Seems to apply to 747 flights only... I don't think they include the A380 when it does intra-Asia flights like NRT-ICN.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Can it be purchased on award tickets ?
I just purchased two seats in “Royal Business” for USD100 each on a 744 Combi flight I have next month ICNSGN. It’s a 5 1/2 hour flight and the bubble is full so it seemed worth it for the extra space and larger seat. We’re flying on award tickets so definitely works for those. The only thing is you can’t handle it online when booked on awards, have to call in and camp on hold for a while.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:48 pm

If the business cabin is full, then I assume they'll upgrade some passengers for free to the F cabin, most likely based on status. I'm flying on a flight in a couple months that had the option to purchase Royal Business seats, but I declined. I figure I'll wait till check-in and see if I automatically get a seat in F or not. If not, I'll decide at that time if it's worth it to pay then for an upgraded seat. Not sure though if it can be purchased at check-in or not.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I just purchased two seats in “Royal Business” for USD100 each on a 744 Combi flight I have next month ICNSGN. It’s a 5 1/2 hour flight and the bubble is full so it seemed worth it for the extra space and larger seat. We’re flying on award tickets so definitely works for those. The only thing is you can’t handle it online when booked on awards, have to call in and camp on hold for a while.
It's worth it. I paid $80 from ICN-HKG, four hours. I was in J on the OZ segment of a United award ticket which took me to ICN from the states in UA First. I was all alone in the OZ 747 F cabin, quiet and I was able to sleep soundly after a very, very long day TPAC flight. Spend the money, you can't take it with you!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Selecting F Seats on a 3 Cabin Plane Sold As 2 Cabin

Hi All, Two questions...
1) My ICN-BKK flight is flown by a 747. They're not selling F on that flight. Is it possible to select one of the F seats in advance, or only at check in? If I'm booking week of departure how likely are they to all be gone?
2) I had seen that ICN-SYD flights flown on an A380 will not let people occupy F seats period. Is this correct?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
On the BKK flight you might get lucky as a UA1K but not very likely (AKA almost zero) that OZ will let you choose one before check in. At the earliest you might have similar odds at check in and it's not likely to happen there or at the gate if there are any OZ Diamond or higher either anywhere in the plane. I did get a double OPUP as an OZ D+ once on a ICN-NRT and got the choice on an ICN-MNL (until they swapped a 330 instead of the 747). No experience with the 380 but my guess is that it's not going to happen unless you're an OZ Platinum or Lifetime Diamond Plus (if then).

Hope you get lucky, if so I'd be buying a lottery ticket!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.