Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

OZ 601 Now an A388 ICN to SYD January 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP

I booked J award tickets using Mileage Plus points in UAL website for LAX-ICN-SYD for January 30, 2018.

Selected seats with the Asians Mobil app because the desktop site would not allow seat selection. All was good and even though the flight is more than 9 months out I look at the reservation frequently. I noticed yesterday my seats on the ICN-SYD leg changed from row 3 To row 9. I looked at seat guru and row 9 on a B772 does not exist. Double checked my reservation on the UAL site and although seat assignments can't be seen, it still said business class.

I check the Asians site and looked at seats and they show row 9. If I try and change seats with the Mobil app I can only see rows 1-3 and all the seats are blocked. (i was in the middle seats in row 3) .

Further investigation reveled that the ICN-SYD flight is showing as a A388 now instead of a B772. Still shows a B772 on UAL sight. All though I can not see row 9 on the Mobil app, row 9 would be J seats on the A388

Is this normal to use that size AC on the ICN-SYD flight? Obviously there are more than double the number of J seats on the A388 vs the B772. My concern if they switch back to B772 and cut the number for J seats form 66 To 24 or 26,who gets booted out of J and into couch? I would guess being on award tickets we would be on the top of the list to be sent to couch. I had choices when I booked but choose the longer flight time in order to experience an A388. Of course the other options are all gone now! Wondering if I made a mistake booking this route.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:01 pm

Don't worry. Second block of the business class has been used by op-ups with Y service most of the winter season. Asiana is not able to fill that many J seats to/from SYD.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Don't worry. Second block of the business class has been used by op-ups with Y service most of the winter season. Asiana is not able to fill that many J seats to/from SYD.
Thanks for the reply.

Wonder why they would switch to an A388 from the B772. I need to check other days and see if they switched AC.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
December-January is a huge peak for both OZ & KE on the ICN-SYD route.
Along with the usual DEC-JAN peak, you have all the international students heading back home for the long summer break along with lots of the local Koreans looking to catch up with family back in Korea, then returning towards the 2nd half of Jan.
So you get huge demand for Y, but not so much for other classes.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I won't worry about getting sent back to coach.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Well, if they remove A380 from this route you would have more chance ending up on a B747 rather than a B777.

OZ did the same towards the end of last year until mid Jan 2017. The plan was to use A380 until early Feb but in the end they only put A380 on the route until around 20 Jan. As you identified, B777's don't have that many Business seats as A380's. What they did this year for those flights that were originally on A380 was they substituted them with a B747 which is even worse with those old angle seats. It's still too early to tell and OZ has got more A380's in their fleet than last year so you may be okay.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:46 pm

I just booked JFK to Sydney today. 3/3-3/15

As of now it shows me B777-200 got ICN-SYD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.