Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Club Mileage Earning on Star Alliance Codeshare Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE

Dear Flyer Talkers:

Need some clarification, I am planning to book a Economy Class ticket from Chicago to Tokyo on United Airlines but the flight is operated by ANA.

I read through the Asiana Club membership handbook and the rules for codeshare flights on Star Alliance appears confusing.

It states that if you are on codeshare flights, then the mileage accrual is governed by the operating carriers rules.

In this example, the U class inventory purchased on UA flight number should earn 100 percent mileage but if the Asiana Club guidelines are anything to go by, then the Uclass inventory would fall under ANA's mileage earning of 70 percent.

In view of this, appreciate if the FT members can confirm if my understanding is correct that's Asiana Club applies the rules based on their logic that I have stipulated above?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I saw this example...it's a bad translation I think at the end.

When a passenger uses codeshare flights operated by Asiana Airlines and a Star Alliance partner, the passenger may earn Asiana Club Miles. If the operating carrier is a Star Alliance partner, the miles are earned based on the mileage earning criteria for the flight name of the carrier and the mileage earning policy of the carrier.
e.g. OZ/NH codeshare flight for the Incheon - Nagoya route: A passenger may earn Asiana Club Miles. If the operating carrier is NH, the miles are earned in the flight name of NH even when the passenger boards the OZ flight.

As in even if it's an OZ number you will still get NH miles per Asiana rules for NH operated flights based on fare class.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
I saw this example...it's a bad translation I think at the end.

When a passenger uses codeshare flights operated by Asiana Airlines and a Star Alliance partner, the passenger may earn Asiana Club Miles. If the operating carrier is a Star Alliance partner, the miles are earned based on the mileage earning criteria for the flight name of the carrier and the mileage earning policy of the carrier.
e.g. OZ/NH codeshare flight for the Incheon - Nagoya route: A passenger may earn Asiana Club Miles. If the operating carrier is NH, the miles are earned in the flight name of NH even when the passenger boards the OZ flight.

As in even if it's an OZ number you will still get NH miles per Asiana rules for NH operated flights based on fare class.
Thanks mikesaidyes for the clarification. So it's safe to say that I would earn the Asiana Club miles for my United ticket operated by ANA based on the UA earnings table?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Thanks mikesaidyes for the clarification. So it's safe to say that I would earn the Asiana Club miles for my United ticket operated by ANA based on the UA earnings table?
No it would most definitely be based on the ANA table.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No it is based on operating airline. However be aware that booking classes are not necessarily the same between marketing airline and operating airline. It is the translated booking class for the operating airline that matters for mileage earning. And no, there are no publicly available translations of booking classes between airlines.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No it is based on operating airline. However be aware that booking classes are not necessarily the same between marketing airline and operating airline. It is the translated booking class for the operating airline that matters for mileage earning. And no, there are no publicly available translations of booking classes between airlines.
Is it only OZ FFP that does that as I have not experienced the same on other airlines FFP. It seems rather strange as the mileage accrual should be based on the marketing carrier.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Is it only OZ FFP that does that as I have not experienced the same on other airlines FFP. It seems rather strange as the mileage accrual should be based on the marketing carrier.
Most *A airlines FFPs work this way. Whereas in oneworld it is typically marketing airline that matters for mileage earning.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Most *A airlines FFPs work this way. Whereas in oneworld it is typically marketing airline that matters for mileage earning.
I think Star Alliance has got this wrong as the mileage should be awarded based on marketing carrier as that's where the revenue goes minus codeshare fees that operating carrier charges (usually USD 50 per segment).

SQ has a better explanation than Asiana Club on its website:

"Mileage accrual eligibility and levels on codeshare flights are determined by the operating carrier".

http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...FOALLevels.pdf

That's where oneworld has a lead over Star Alliance.

On a separate note, there was survey by Star Alliance to its Top 1000 customers for which I am one of them and they asked for specific questions relating to alliances (Star, oneworld, Skyteam) and the ME3 (Emirates, Etihad and Qatar) in terms of quality, brand, etc.

My answers were rated towards oneworld as I believe they have better quality carriers and FFP benefits that are superior to that of Star Alliance - three tier levels versus two tier for Star Alliance and consistency with FFP mileage earning logic (unlike what Star is doing as per this thread).

Last edited by 380Flyer; Dec 4, 2016 at 5:49 am
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

There is plenty of inconsistencies in oneworld as well as cases where using marketing airline is disadvantageous. But that is off-topic for this thread on Asiana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.