More news on Asiana restructure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
More news on Asiana restructure

English-language link

TLDR summary:
  • 11 routes (including Japan, midnight flights to SE Asia) to be moved to Air Seoul
  • Destinations to be terminated in 2016: Vladivostok (Feb), Bali and Yangon (March)
  • Branch offices to be closed. 23 to 14 domestically, 128 to 92 overseas.
  • A380 to keep F, all other aircraft F to be replaced with expanded J
  • Plans for Y+ in A350 (2017)
  • Staff cuts. Increased outsourcing (reservations, ticketing, airport services), automation systems to be installed at airports.,
  • Execs to get pay and benefits cut

Sounds a bit uncertain. Depending on how it gets negotiated with the unions as well, could be a rocky year or two at Asiana.

I just hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater in a bid to cut costs and jeopardise their service quality (about the only thing they have going for them).

No mention of changes to Asiana Club. I guess that's good?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Daxiuyi

I just hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater in a bid to cut costs and jeopardise their service quality (about the only thing they have going for them).
I'm totally with you on that. One of the things I found disconcerting is the plans to outsource ticketing and "airport services". What does the latter include? In my experience, outsourcing rarely leads to better service quality, and like you say, that's pretty much all they have going for them.

On the other hand, at least it seems like they will finally upgrade to full lie-flat on all routes. The article says the end of the "normalization" program is scheduled for 2017, if that also includes the seat upgrades and not just staff and payroll measures, then they will have to hurry.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
*]A380 to keep F, all other aircraft F to be replaced with expanded J[*]Plans for Y+ in A350 (2017)
Will the OZ A350 have an F cabin? If not; when they (eventually) ditch their A380's will they be giving up on first class altogether?

SL
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by SunLover
Will the OZ A350 have an F cabin? If not; when they (eventually) ditch their A380's will they be giving up on first class altogether?

SL
It sounds like no to the first question and the second one I would say is much too far out in the future to tell.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SunLover

SL
Can see the F class going away since they are adding in Y+ (to replace the 2nd class of service)
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:02 am

Thanks for posting this!

Will this restructuring have an impact on Asiana Club? I was just about to switch from Krisflyer due to generous qualification rules. Should I stick with Krisflyer?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Thanks for posting this!

Will this restructuring have an impact on Asiana Club? I was just about to switch from Krisflyer due to generous qualification rules. Should I stick with Krisflyer?
Let me put it this way: no changes have been announced so far and given that I haven't heard about KE announcing similar moves, OZ would be wise not to hurt its customer appeal. That said, nothing is for certain and the current management does not seem to be particularly visionary or creative.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: Asiana Airlines Diamond Plus (*A Gold), Korean Air Skypass, and Japan Airlines JAL Mileage Bank
Originally Posted by jon503
Let me put it this way: no changes have been announced so far and given that I haven't heard about KE announcing similar moves, OZ would be wise not to hurt its customer appeal. That said, nothing is for certain and the current management does not seem to be particularly visionary or creative.
Imo, Asiana and Korean Air are equal. I choose to use Asiana, because they have an awesome frequent flyer program. If they screw that up, I wouldn't be loyal to them anymore.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Thanks for posting this!

Article made no mention of Asiana Club. Suspect they have bigger issues to worry about at the moment, but in the future, who knows? My guess is once they get the "physical" operational stuff sorted they'll look at Asiana Club.

Agree that on this board at least, Asiana Club is one of the airline's major attractions and any changes would likely not be appreciated here.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I will still switch to Asiana Club and hope for the best.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:45 pm

11 routes (including Japan, midnight flights to SE Asia) to be moved to Air Seoul
The planned routes are published in moct website, basically all Japan routes except Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka and Sendai will be operated by Air Seoul before end of 2016. All Cambodian routes (REP & PNH) will also be transferred in 2016. In 2017, most Shandong routes in China (TAO YNT WEH) and some Asian routes (BKI DAD) will be transferred.

Asiana club members still can redeem and earn miles on these routes but will be very likely blocked by star alliance miles just like the Air Busan.

Fleet-wise, 3 Asiana 321s will be converted for Air Seoul with 195 mono-Y seating in 2016. 5 more will be converted in 2017. Launch is planned in June 2016.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:15 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I guess that means that Frankfurt takes the biggest hit since it loses F services completely with the A380 doing North America (Los Angeles / New York)...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I guess that means that Frankfurt takes the biggest hit since it loses F services completely with the A380 doing North America (Los Angeles / New York)...
Doesn't Asiana have 2 more A380s on order? I assumed those would replace the 3 class 747 service to FRA...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by sol95
Doesn't Asiana have 2 more A380s on order? I assumed those would replace the 3 class 747 service to FRA...
That's my understanding also. I would be really disappointed if anything changed, as that's my main route...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I think you should look at it differently. When the last pair of A380s enter service in 2017, it will fly to FRA. This will be the preferred choice over flying on LH. Right now, LH aircraft that serve ICN does not have anything comparable to either Smartium or First Suite.

Also, with the A350s having Premium Economy, I bet any opups will be to PE, instead of Biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.