Wiki Posts
Search

UK Members: Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
UK Members: Some Questions

A friend of mine just relocated to London from Seoul. As he's always had an Asiana account from Korea, he hit Diamond this year. He flies to the U.S. On UA multiple times a year. As far as Korea is concerned, he won't come back.

Does United do status match in the same alliance? He's really happy with his benefits and wants to keep them going, but he's not sure about things like credit card in the uk for Asiana etc.

What's the best hotel program for aasiana? Anything like Delta and Starwood?

Should he just keep Asiana until status goes away then start a new membership elsewhere?

What do you all do to keep status?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:20 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
It all depends on your friend's flying pattern:
- what does multiple times constitute? 3, 5, 10 times a year trans atlantic?
- What cabin does (s)he fly to the US?

OZ is relatively easy to maintain *G status if one makes approx 4-5 transatlantic trips with UA, then your friend will keep OZ diamond and *G status, which will provide Premier Access/fast track at check in or security and access to a *A lounge.

I assume your friend will be increasing their UA flying markedly if flying London - US. If (s)he can consistently meet 50 000 miles or 60 segments, then UA Premier Gold will provide to not only Premier Access and lounge but also the standby upgrade list. Anecdotal evidence from FT suggests the list is so long with higher tier members that a UA Gold will rarely be upgraded anyway, but the chances are still higher than OZ Diamond, who will not even be placed on the upgrade list.

I travel regularly in the UK and I use Starwood. Admittedly the offering is quite small for Starwood in the UK but the miles given are much higher than say Hilton. Note also that Hilton Double Dip does not allow transfers to OZ, so only the base points. The qualification for Platinum level is also much lower on number of stays (25) compared to Club Carlson & Hilton.

From a european based OZ Diamond Plus, the best way to maintain OZ status is to fly long haul. Europe is so small that it will take a significant amount of European flying to climb the status tier.

Last edited by THD; Oct 15, 2014 at 6:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.