Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

OZ Award seat blackout dates 24 Dec 2014 -11 Jan 2015 ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ Award seat blackout dates 24 Dec 2014 -11 Jan 2015 ???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Exclamation OZ Award seat blackout dates 24 Dec 2014 -11 Jan 2015 ???

Trying to book couple of award reservations between Japan and (ICN) & between Hong Kong (HKG) and (ICN) during the 24 Dec 2014 - 11 Jan 2015 using my UA Mileage Plus but it seems nothing was available although it shows availability on UA award search engine. After selecting the OZ flights, it shows the following error:

"Error

Due to rapidly changing partner availability the following flights are no longer available. Please choose another flight or modify your search criteria.

Asiana Airlines flight OZ111 - 24/12/2014 - 12:50 - Osaka, Japan (KIX) to Seoul, Republic of South Korea (ICN - Incheon)
"

When I use ANA Sky web search for OZ award seats, it shows absolutely nothing between 24 Dec 2014 and 11 Jan 2015.

When I use AC Aeroplan search for OZ award seats, it shows availability exactly like what UA does, but since I do not have enough points in my Aeroplan, I still do not know if the OZ flights are bookable.

Does anyone come across the same things? Anyone have any lucks on getting the OZ flights during the suspected blackout dates?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I've just check the Asiana Korean website for you. It is showing availability but from Gimpo airport. Most flights between Korea and Japan leave out of Gimpo, not Incheon. Try again. If you fail to secure something then you will have to call up UA and book. Good luck!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by guyinmotion
I've just check the Asiana Korean website for you. It is showing availability but from Gimpo airport. Most flights between Korea and Japan leave out of Gimpo, not Incheon. Try again. If you fail to secure something then you will have to call up UA and book. Good luck!
Thanks guyinmotion! I did try GMP airport but nothing on the suspected blackout dates. I could only get the flights either before 24 Dec 14 or after 11 Jan 15.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
ah, I've just realized that the blackout dates don't apply to me because of my elite status with OZ. That's why I see those flights as available. Sorry mate!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
ah, I've just realized that the blackout dates don't apply to me because of my elite status with OZ. That's why I see those flights as available. Sorry mate!
Award space for UA members and OZ members is different as well.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by GordonGordon

Does anyone come across the same things? Anyone have any lucks on getting the OZ flights during the suspected blackout dates?
That is normal, if I remember, OZ also has blackout dates in May and June as well. Pre-merger united.com use to be able to let you click thru a link that show all the OZ blackout dates, post-merger united.com don't have that feature anymore.

OZ is one of the few *A members that had quite many blackout dates for awards.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Call up UA and book is useless, if it is blackout it is blackout, nothing you can do about no matter what *A member you are calling from.

Using OZ miles can book those blackout dates but require extra miles, not about you are elite with OZ.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Using OZ miles can book those blackout dates but require extra miles, not about you are elite with OZ.

Correction my friend. Top OZ elites are exempted from having to pay the extra miles. Been one myself for almost 10 years. I've become used to think of this benefit as the norm so it escaped my mind that GordonGordon would not have the same OZ FF benefit as a *A member.

"If you are traveling in the high-peak season, you can travel without the deduction of additional miles.
* This is applicable to mileage redemption from a Platinum Membership Account."

Last edited by guyinmotion; Apr 5, 2014 at 7:32 am
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
One thing to note is that the OZ blackout dates ex-North America are slightly different than the ones for the rest of OZ's network.

http://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

This can work to your advantage because you can book OZ award flights to ICN around Christmastime, and there's pretty good inventory in premium cabins.

Of course, you need to get OUT of ICN... but I've noticed that the TG fifth freedom flight ICN-HKG will do the trick.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just booked OZ C (technically I) saver award tickets using UA miles from NRT - ICN - HNL for 1/4/15.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by spleen93
Just booked OZ C (technically I) saver award tickets using UA miles from NRT - ICN - HNL for 1/4/15.
+1

Last edited by jglenn16; Apr 24, 2014 at 10:07 am
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by spleen93
Same here but for SYD->ICN->LAX for the 2nd in I. I don't think I saw the blackout issues.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:57 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't see any F class availability for ICN-LAX in early January (before 1/11), but I saw several dates with availability earlier today.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
As of yesterday (maybe earlier), the peak season dates that are supposed to be blacked out for *A partners have been available. I'm guessing it's not intentional, so I would expect that blackout to go back in effect if/when they realize what's going on.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:05 pm

Maybe they decided to release some a few days ago-I was finding available dates all over december/january for J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.