Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Hidden Benefits of Asiana Airlines Diamond Plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden Benefits of Asiana Airlines Diamond Plus?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. When traveling in C, I've been able to order in advance my C meal. When traveling in Y, I was able to order in advance a Y meal, but only did this a couple of times. Once in Y, everyone else was eating bibimbap, while I had my special ssambap that I ordered. This was out of ICN, and a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still allow it, nor if it's possible on flights into ICN. I sort of doubt though at any points they'd allow it for flight to ICN, as they must rely on catering at other airports and will be much more limited.

One more D+ perk I recently discovered. I was on a flight to HKG where evidently they didn't have any F passengers and moved C into F. I was in economy and was automatically seated in the upper deck C section, but with Y service. There was only one other passenger with me, who I assume was also D+. So while the meal was economy, with one FA for only two of us, it was very personalized service. We were offered a pre-flight drink (water or orange juice), which isn't done for regular economy.

To top it off, the economy meal was excellent. I chose the Pork Jajang with rice (짜장밥). I've had this lots of times in Korea, and it's good but nothing really special. This was the first time I've even seen it offered on OZ (or any other airline for that matter). It was really good and better than any Jajang Bap I've had in Korea. In fact it was one of the most memorable Y meals I've had on any airline.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:06 pm

I'm a thousand miles from hitting D+, and that should happen in the next month with a planned SIN-PEK trip coming up.

Just wondering if there is a welcome gift for D+ (besides the luggage tags). The gift for D was a little underwhelming, (even if I have used them quite a bit )...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:38 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
I reached D+ in the in about March and was sent a toiletries kit containing nail clippers, tweezers of various sizes, scissors, metal nail file. Shiny, but dubious quality given that the arms of the tweezers and clippers did not close up perfectly. Like the gesture, but a bit impractical for me as a frequent flyer who is often cabin baggage only to receive a heavy box with exactly the items one cannot take onboard I liked the presentation of the gift, clearly a step ahead of the D package.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Archieflyer
I'm a thousand miles from hitting D+, and that should happen in the next month with a planned SIN-PEK trip coming up.

Just wondering if there is a welcome gift for D+ (besides the luggage tags). The gift for D was a little underwhelming, (even if I have used them quite a bit )...
I will be diamond in oct, so what should i expect for a gift?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by THD
I reached D+ in the in about March and was sent a toiletries kit containing nail clippers, tweezers of various sizes, scissors, metal nail file. Shiny, but dubious quality given that the arms of the tweezers and clippers did not close up perfectly. Like the gesture, but a bit impractical for me as a frequent flyer who is often cabin baggage only to receive a heavy box with exactly the items one cannot take onboard I liked the presentation of the gift, clearly a step ahead of the D package.
some kind of nice travelling pouch would be nice as more useful for travelling.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:31 pm

I didn't get anything 3+ years ago when I qualified. I even went to the Asiana Club counter at ICN to inquire about it, but they feigned ignorance regarding the gift. Others FT members at the time I recall received a passport holder. However on one of my OZ F flights, I received the passport holder as the F gift, so I'm a happy camper now.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
When i got to D, i received the leather passport holder sent to my home. it's nice enough, and i started using it at first, but don't bother anymore as I have to take the passport out of the holder whenever i leave or arrive back to australia.

when i got to D+, i didn't receive a gift at all. not too fussed either way...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:10 am

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the other reports of the passport holder were for reaching D or D+. It may have just been Diamond. Either way, I didn't get any gift for either, other than the luggage tags.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:10 am

Ok, so looks like there isn't any consistency to this... I'll see what I get then...

vinx, I received a blow-up neck pillow. I prefer those to the super soft pillows that are provided sometimes, so it's nice, but I can get one of those for less than $10 at the airport.

Honestly, gifts that would be nice (& usable!) include
- Passport holder, or one of those travel wallets
- All-in-one travel adapter
- Travelling pouch (one made of clear plastic, including a couple of small 100ml bottles )
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond

vinx, I received a blow-up neck pillow.

wow

if i got that as a "gift", i'd have a bit of a chuckle. free is free, but i think i prefer my leather passport holder to a blow-up neck pillow!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:07 am

I will ask whether they have something else if they are giving me neck pillow.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by sol95
wow

if i got that as a "gift", i'd have a bit of a chuckle. free is free, but i think i prefer my leather passport holder to a blow-up neck pillow!
Originally Posted by vinx
I will ask whether they have something else if they are giving me neck pillow.
Well, it wasn't as if I was given a choice... It came in the mail with the new card and the luggage tags.

But, yeah, like I said, underwhelming...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:12 am

Well, it wasn't as if I was given a choice... It came in the mail with the new card and the luggage tags.

But, yeah, like I said, underwhelming...
I will be diamond when I am at ICN airport so will go up to the asiana club desk for new card and same time ask for something else if they offer me the neck pillow. Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by vinx
I will be diamond when I am at ICN airport so will go up to the asiana club desk for new card and same time ask for something else if they offer me the neck pillow. Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask.
Actually, that might be the best way to NOT get your free gift. That's basically what I did, and I got zilch. I actually waited for a while to get my card in the mail, but hadn't received it yet, so asked at ICN for them to make my card. Got my luggage tags there, but they claimed to not know anything about a free gift. Then I'm guessing they tagged it in the system that I picked up my card in person, so never got anything in the mail.

Anyone else have experience in having your card made at the airport and whether you got a free gift there or not?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:16 am

That must be it. I picked up my D+ card at ICN, but received my D card in the mail.

And at ICN, I didn't ask about the free gift, assuming it'd just be mailed out to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.