Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*G lounge departing SFO on OZ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flying in business class, you will theoretically have access to all *A lounges, including the United Club, SQ's SilverKris, and BR, all of which are in Concourse G. Except I think ORDnHKG is correct, you will only be able to get an OZ boarding pass from OZ, which will require that you exit T3 and go to OZ check-in in the international terminal. With such a lengthy layover, it would be well worth the effort to see if you can access the Concourse G lounges before heading over to Concourse A for your departure.

One can definitely access concourse G if flying out of Concourse A. I emailed SFO customer service and confirmed one can do this. I did this once to see my SO off at Concourse A and the flew out of concourse G an hour later.

The security attendant did tell me that I was departing from the other concourse, but just reassure them that you are doing this on purpose to access lounges etc. TSA may also give you a soft reminder as well. Yes you will need to enter through security each time.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
FYI, UA passes only good at UA lounges, domestic UA lounges in SFO don't even have showers with dismal offerings, so use them at your own will.

UA use T3 and OZ use int'l A in SFO, which means you have no choice but to exit airside to get to landside first, and reclear security back into airside. Also very likely UA wouldn't be able to issue a OZ boarding pass (from my experiences), which means you have to get your OZ boarding pass in the SFO OZ checkin counter landside anyway.
Original poster could visit the international UA lounge without clearing security (show itinerary if do not have boarding pass for OZ). I'd go there first before exiting to go to "A" pier (or OZ check in if no boarding pass).
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Original poster could visit the international UA lounge without clearing security (show itinerary if do not have boarding pass for OZ). I'd go there first before exiting to go to "A" pier (or OZ check in if no boarding pass).
There is no "international UA lounge." There's a United Club in the international terminal (Councourse G) as well as the one in T3. OP can access either with a J BP for a departing international *A flight.

Whether they will allow access based on a printed itinerary rather than a BP is probably less than a 50-50 proposition. Note that the *A rules specifically require a boarding pass ("Customer must present a boarding pass for travel in International Business Class on a Star Alliance flight").
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold
When I check in with UA at MCI won't UA be printing all of my boarding passes? We go from ICN to BKI and I always get all the boarding passes issued by the first carrier. Does UA treat OZ flights differently?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
If you check in online, you can get to T3 and use the United Club (there are no other lounges open at this time). About 3 hours prior to departure, head over to Terminal A where you can collect your real boarding pass (OZ only allows the home-printed boarding passes for domestic Korean flights) and China Airlines Lounge Invitation (OZ's lounge in TI-A).
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
When I check in with UA at MCI won't UA be printing all of my boarding passes? We go from ICN to BKI and I always get all the boarding passes issued by the first carrier. Does UA treat OZ flights differently?
If it's all on one ticket, you will get all your boarding passes at MCI unless:
-Your itinerary is too long -- BPs can't be printed over ~72 hours in advance
-On your return, OZ will not be able to print your UA boarding pass. Foreign airlines aren't able to see domestic parts of itineraries because their computer systems don't sync with a US carrier because they do not want to have to share the amount of information required of US carriers to the US government.

Your UA-printed-OZ BP will be fine for accessing T3/UC, but OZ may not let you board with it.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by 1353513636
If it's all on one ticket, you will get all your boarding passes at MCI unless:
-Your itinerary is too long -- BPs can't be printed over ~72 hours in advance
-On your return, OZ will not be able to print your UA boarding pass. Foreign airlines aren't able to see domestic parts of itineraries because their computer systems don't sync with a US carrier because they do not want to have to share the amount of information required of US carriers to the US government.

Your UA-printed-OZ BP will be fine for accessing T3/UC, but OZ may not let you board with it.
What you are saying are totally bs, are you just making something up or from experience ?

Itinerary too long has nothing to do with not able to print out partners segments (My last trip I had 4 boarding passes printed out all at one time, with 3 *A partners involve), it is just in general from experience, UA is not able to print out OZ's boarding passes no matter pre-merger or post merger period.

However, OZ is actually always able to print out the connecting UA's boarding pass for no matter domestic or int'l segments. In a matter of fact, there are many *A partners also able to print out the connecting UA's domestic segment's boarding passes not just OZ, to name a few NH (pre JV and post JV), LH, AC, BR, etc.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 25, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
What you are saying are totally bs, are you just making something up or from experience ?

Itinerary too long has nothing to do with not able to print out partners segments (My last trip I had 4 boarding passes printed out all at one time, with 3 *A partners involve), it is just in general from experience, UA is not able to print out OZ's boarding passes no matter pre-merger or post merger period.

However, OZ is actually always able to print out the connecting UA's boarding pass for no matter domestic or int'l segments. In a matter of fact, there are many *A partners also able to print out the connecting UA's domestic segment's boarding passes not just OZ, to name a few NH (pre JV and post JV), LH, AC, BR, etc.
Mostly from experience:
The itinerary really has to be very very long to encounter this issue, only had it once when I had a bit of fun with 23:59 connections on UA award. Usually, UA prints out something, although it's not accepted as a boarding pass sometimes. About the US domestic boarding passes, NH told me what I wrote there.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete. wrong thread.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
If you check in online, you can get to T3 and use the United Club (there are no other lounges open at this time). About 3 hours prior to departure, head over to Terminal A where you can collect your real boarding pass (OZ only allows the home-printed boarding passes for domestic Korean flights) and China Airlines Lounge Invitation (OZ's lounge in TI-A).
Does the T3 UA lounge have a shower? I'm thinking that with the very early 5:40am flight from MCI-SFO that I'll wait until we get to SFO to shower. That way I won't have to get up so early.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:06 pm

Does the T3 UA lounge have a shower? I'm thinking that with the very early 5:40am flight from MCI-SFO that I'll wait until we get to SFO to shower. That way I won't have to get up so early.
No. The only showers in SFO are in the SQ Lounge and FreshenUp landside in the Int'l terminal which is independent and will cost a nominal fee.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Unfortunately not. Neither of the SFO UC's has a shower. There is a shower in the GFL. There is also an arrivals lounge with showers, but that's only for int'l arriving pax.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:10 pm

update: When I took this trip back in may, all boarding passes were printed at MCI by UA when I checked in. I did not have to go to the OZ counter in SFO and get another boarding pass. The one I was given by UA got me on the plane.

When I take these same flights in 2 days, we arrive at gate 84D. Is this the terminal with the int'l UA club? In May, we sat at this club for 3 1/2 hours, went over to the other terminal where OZ flies from. went through security, and used the contract lounge. I may try to get into SQ lounge if they will allow it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
I recently used the SQ lounge in SFO (arriving on a UA flight BOS-SFO, departing SFO-NRT on NH). Note that the SQ lounge only opens before the two SQ flights out of SFO, and so is open limited hours, something like 10:30 AM-1:30 PM. It is a nice, but small, lounge.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

When I take these same flights in 2 days, we arrive at gate 84D. Is this the terminal with the int'l UA club?
No it is not, gate 84D is T3 (84 is where all the UX flights arrives and departs currently, hence there is a letter D attach to it). Int'l G gates where the UA club at international terminal G are gates 91-102

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.