Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund Policy

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Refund Policy

We have reservations on the route BKK-ICN-LHR and payment setlement must be made before this Friday. The date of departure is 24 July and return 12 August with a 4/5 day stop-over in Korea on departure.

My question is with the present rising tensions with North Korea, if things turn out ugly what would Asiana's policy be if flights were cancelled such as would I be automatically refunded or alternatively if we felt too uncomfortable to travel could we cancel and be entitled to a full refund less any administrative charge?
Old May 27, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: OZ D+, BA Silver, IC Royal Plat. Ambassador
First of all, the chance of anything actually happening here are slim to none.
You never know, but both countries have everything to loose from actual armed conflict, so expect tons of heavy rhetoric and little else.
If not, a lot of people are severely screwed....

Anyway, Asiana policy is like any other airline. If it is YOU that get cold feet and want to cancel, the refund policy depends on your booking class.
Most Asiana tickets are refundable for a fee, except heavily discounted tickets that are seldom sold outside Korea.

Now if something actually does happen, I am sure they would claim Force Majeure, but instead of you loosing your ticket, they would likely give you the option of postponing your journey or getting a refund, much in the same way airlines settled the Icelandic Ashcloud mess a month ago.

Of course, this is the norm, but it all depends on what actually happens and the severity of it.

But you shouldn't give too much thought to this methinks
Old May 27, 2010, 1:47 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Endesu

First of all, the chance of anything actually happening here are slim to none.
You never know, but both countries have everything to loose from actual armed conflict, so expect tons of heavy rhetoric and little else.
If not, a lot of people are severely screwed....
I think North Korea's Kim Jong Il is crazy. You never know what crazy people would do. I never expected them to detonate a nuke or sink a ship with Thorpedos for no reason.

If indeed the area goes out of control, you paid by credit card, and you haven't taken the trip yet, you're credit card company will remove the charge since the carrier is unable to provide the service promised (ie flying you to Korea). I will also put faith that Asiana will provide you a refund during those war times.

If you're in Korea and the thing goes out of control, the ticket refund should be the last thing you worry about. You should evacuate to Japan and take the first flight back to North America or take a boat ride to Taiwan or China- Japan is within missle range of North Korea. The airport, and Seoul is within fire range of North Korea's artillary. If you made it out alive, your credit card will give you a refund since the carrier is also unable to provide service promised.
Old May 27, 2010, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by yeunganson
If indeed the area goes out of control, you paid by credit card, and you haven't taken the trip yet, you're credit card company will remove the charge since the carrier is unable to provide the service promised (ie flying you to Korea).
I wouldn't bank on the help of a credit card company to get a refund.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:44 am
Suspended

I changed my summer holiday plans from Thailand to Korea a little while ago. Guess I'm just lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.