Wiki Posts
Search

Bali hotel tips - USD50 per night?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum
Bali hotel tips - USD50 per night?

I'm after some tips for hotels in Bali (over Christmas/New Years).

We (in our mid 20's) would like something cheap ish (USD50-60 per room/night) yet reasonably comfortable. Preferably away from the crowds (not interested in nightlife) but within walking distance of shops/food/beach.

We've never been to Bali before so would be happy to receive any pointers re location of hotels (in absence of any specific tips).

Cheers,
Bradley
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:41 am
In memoriam

My tip is to go there and negotiate. The Bali hotel business is not good. Oversupply at all levels and customers staying away due to terrorism fears.

The room or suite you reserve from home at a big price can often (just about always) be gotten for a tenth as much once you get there. Try a couple of the little storefront agencies for "special" prices. Or just dicker at the front desk.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:30 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I'd suggest that you consider some basic research first using a resource such as Lonely Planet's Bali. There's a lot of choice for locations, but, if you end up in Kuta, say, you should be doing so by active choice, not just because you want someplace close to a beach.

Once you've got a general orientation to Bali, come back here and ask some targeted questions. Personally I'd never go to Bali for the beach. However, zillions of people in their 20s from Oz like Kuta/Legian/Seminyak just fine. The operative word is zillions.

If you'd rather just get the information you came for without the fuss, I'd consider the Lovina area on the north coast.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
My tip is to go there and negotiate. The Bali hotel business is not good. Oversupply at all levels and customers staying away due to terrorism fears.
Excellent advice

Going to Bali over Christmas/New Year with no confirmed booking is just pure lunacy. Bali was packed during my last 2 trips there, and it wasnt even Christmas.

A St Regis is currently being built and I believe a new Banyan Tree is planned as well. So should I believe what the seasoned hotel developers are doing or a self-proclaimed expert from FT

If the OP doesnt mind Nusa Dua, there is a new Novotel with rates currently going for around USD50.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:33 am
In memoriam

Gosh, when I was there over holidays recently there were vast supplies of rooms from $3 a night, breakfast included. Sort of a Balinese B & B.

And, there were rooms/suites with rack rates of $500 a night available for $40-50 per night if you were on the spot.

I admit, if you wish to stay with the (friendly) drunken hordes in Kuta you will be paying more. But, IMHO, Kuta is a clear miss.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium
I travel to Bali 3-4 times a year. The last 5 years I have been staying in Legion at the Kumala Pantai Hotel. It is right on the beach in a quite area but very near many good resturaunts and nightlife.
They are getting to be very popular now, and are fully booked most of the time. The rates during the holiday season are around $50us. with a good buffet breakfast.
In my opinion the hotels that give big price reductions are hotels that are overpriced to begin with, or are worn out and still trying to get the prices they got in there prime.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum
Thanks for all the advice.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Lightbulb Three suggestions

1. UBUD
2. Losman
3. Homestay.

Lastly check out the balitravelforum.com. It is the FT of Bali.

salamat jalan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.