Wiki Posts
Search

XMas - Bangkok and / or Malaysia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
XMas - Bangkok and / or Malaysia?

I will have about 2 weeks time around Xmas. We're going to do a couple days in Singapore and couple more in Chiang Rai. I'm trying to decide if I should also go to Bangkok and / or Malaysia (would prefer to stick to city). Should I split the week and do 3 days in BK, 3 days in KL. Or should I just stick to one location? For XMas week, which location will have cheaper rooms? This will be my first time in SE Asia.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:00 pm

I think Bangkok is a preferable destination at Christmastime, compared to Muslim-majority Malaysia and most likely subdued Christmas celebrations in KL. Bangkok doesn't officially sanction Christmas or the holiday but department stores and hotels and nightlife do make efforts to create a festive Christmas atmosphere.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Bangkok is definitely festive at Christmastime and long into January for that matter. Bangkok I can easily spend a month in; I think about three days is good in Kuala Lumpur. I'm not sure you'll find a huge price difference between KL and Bangkok for the same quality level in hotels.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:08 pm
Suspended

If you are looking for the "Christmas" atmosphere (in the tropics), Singapore is the place.
If you are looking for cheap hotels, you will find it in Kuala Lumpur (half the price of Bangkok & Singapore for the same quality)
If you are looking for an interesting city with plenty of sights, Bangkok is your city.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sonoftheheartland
I think Bangkok is a preferable destination at Christmastime, compared to Muslim-majority Malaysia and most likely subdued Christmas celebrations in KL.
I think there are more Christians in KL than in Bangkok.

Though Muslim population is growing fast, only half the inhabitants in KL are Muslims. The proportion is slightly more than half for the country as a whole.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by adamak
I will have about 2 weeks time around Xmas. We're going to do a couple days in Singapore and couple more in Chiang Rai. I'm trying to decide if I should also go to Bangkok and / or Malaysia (would prefer to stick to city). Should I split the week and do 3 days in BK, 3 days in KL. Or should I just stick to one location? For XMas week, which location will have cheaper rooms? This will be my first time in SE Asia.
From one new yorker to another (), i would recommend Bkk.

If you're willing to stay a little bit outside city, i can recommend a service apt that has free wifi, bkfast and one large bdroom apt with full kitchen (kanary house, off Rama IX) that would cost less than $50 a night.

In town, on the famous Sukhumvit Rd area, you can also get good hotel for well under $100/night. Weather is normally best from mid Nov to end Jan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.